Could smoking be banned in the UK's council owned houses??

Could smoking be banned in the UK's council owned houses?

This year the first of several laws were enacted to ban smoking in social housing in some US cities. This effectively bans smoking within what we would call council hoses and flats.

They always say what happens in America arrives here a few years later. Could this be the next of the ever increasing list of places where smoking is banned?

Just one of many that google brings up.

SMOKERS are being banned from lighting up in their homes before a visit by council staff.

The 2,500 people in Wigan who receive homecare visits have been told that they cannot smoke for one hour before the appointment time to help staff avoid the dangers of passive smoking.

Anyone who breaks the rules will get a ticking off, but persistent offenders could be fined.

Other authorities including Manchester, Stockport, Rochdale and Bolton have not gone as far as a ban.

They have advised care workers they do not have to work in `smoky' rooms while making home visits.

I still smoke in mine when they visit.

I'll continue to do so too.

Cannabis is supposed to be illegal and I smoke that in my home. Me elderly neighbours clubbed too to buy me some for xmas last year, after I helped clear the road of snow!

Cannabis is supposed to be illegal and I smoke that in my home. Me elderly neighbours clubbed too to buy me some for xmas last year, after I helped clear the road of snow!

Wow, you are a lad aren't you? There are lots of similar smart folks who one day find themselves getting evicted. Perhaps your neighbours can pop down the railway arches and bring you a bit of weed when you are sleeping rough.

Suppose it could happen, not many private landlords allow it. However apart from cases where people visit in a work capacity, it would probably be introduced on new tenancy applications only, that way people have the option not to take the property if they don't agree.

Suppose it could happen, not many private landlords allow it. However apart from cases where people visit in a work capacity, it would probably be introduced on new tenancy applications only, that way people have the option not to take the property if they don't agree.

In the USA they just seemed to have rolled it out as a blanket ban where it has been adopted, pretty much like the bans on smoking in the work place etc. One day it was allowed the next it wasn't.

I don't smoke anyway, and never will... In fact I actually support a ban on smoking in ANY home, Council or otherwise.

Who gives you (or anyone for that matter) the right to dictate to people how they conduct themselves in their own homes?

I don't think people should be banned from smoking in their homes as long as they consider other people who they may have asked to be there.

People who have to carry out work in your home may actually have the right to decline to do so if your home is not smoke free. Smoking legislation covers workplaces, and your home is another person's workplace. And apart from anything else, I don't think we should need rules to practice good manners. ;)

Rotherham council include in their tenant handbook the request to tenants not to smoke when work is being done. I did some training sessions last year with some of the workmen and they pointed it out. They can take a card with them to show tenants. Some weren't bothered by passive smoking, but those who were had the option not to work in a property.

I've not seen anything about it in Sheffield - yet.

Archived