Could smoking be banned in the UK's council owned houses??

I still smoke in mine when they visit.

I'll continue to do so too.

Cannabis is supposed to be illegal and I smoke that in my home. Me elderly neighbours clubbed too to buy me some for xmas last year, after I helped clear the road of snow!

Hilarious,Walter (Mitty)

Who gives you (or anyone for that matter) the right to dictate to people how they conduct themselves in their own homes?

It isn't your own home they are talking about. It is council owned homes. The home owner decides what goes on in it pretty much like the owners of hotels and rented property.

Who gives you (or anyone for that matter) the right to dictate to people how they conduct themselves in their own homes?

If you are renting its not your home ………. If you don’t like whatever rules a landlord lays down find a new landlord ……… how I :hihi: at our neighbours stood outside with their coats on having a quick cig.

I think they should ban it, most rented properties do not allow smoking. The previous tenants in my flat smoked heavily (even though they weren't meant to) and it still smells four months later, every time I have a shower I can smell it :gag:

When my mother got her bungalow the walls were yellow. the ceilings were yellow and even the window frames were yellow, when we used a steamer to get the wallpaper off there was yellow liquid dripping off the ceiling …………. :gag: :gag: :gag:

When my mother got her bungalow the walls were yellow. the ceilings were yellow and even the window frames were yellow, when we used a steamer to get the wallpaper off there was yellow liquid dripping off the ceiling …………. :gag: :gag: :gag:

Shapes of things to come.. from USA 2004

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2007-04-04-public-housing-smoking_N.htm

The commission made its building smoke-free starting last Sunday. New tenants aren't allowed to smoke indoors. Smokers already living there may smoke in their units until Oct. 1, 2008.

Violators may be evicted.

All bans forbid new tenants smoking indoors, Bergman says. Some forbid current residents smoking in their apartments, some allow them to smoke until they move out, and some set a deadline for quitting. Some ban outdoor smoking near the building.

How would a Council "police" a smoking ban in their rented houses?. Seems impossible to me.

Regards

Angel.

I was just about to post the same. Irrelevant of what rules they pass, how on earth could it be proven that it was the tenant unless you actually witnessed people smoking?

EDIT- and, come to think of it, are you as the council, going to try to visit every property every week (or however often) in order to catch people smoking? That would cost millions of pounds a year just to catch people breaking a rule that you can't enforce because it's not against the law.

How would a Council "police" a smoking ban in their rented houses?. Seems impossible to me.

Regards

Angel.

I was just about to post the same. Irrelevant of what rules they pass, how on earth could it be proven that it was the tenant unless you actually witnessed people smoking?

I think it is done pretty much like they enforce bans on pets. They act on information received and go and investigate. I doubt it is difficult. Most smokers stupidly assume that no one can smell tobacco smoke. As is evidence from comments on this thread the stink lingers for months.

I was in a hotel a few months ago when the smoke alarm went off. It was caused by a guest smoking in his room. They swiped an extra £250 off his card to pay for fumigation. So I assume sticking detectors in council flats would be another way.

Archived