Could smoking be banned in the UK's council owned houses??

I was just about to post the same. Irrelevant of what rules they pass, how on earth could it be proven that it was the tenant unless you actually witnessed people smoking?

EDIT- and, come to think of it, are you as the council, going to try to visit every property every week (or however often) in order to catch people smoking? That would cost millions of pounds a year just to catch people breaking a rule that you can't enforce because it's not against the law.

But surely the tenant would be responsible regardless of who did the damage, obviously they aren’t going to catch someone in the “act” but what if someone has to enter the house and its thick in smoke and everywhere is yellow like in our case.

Don’t all boilers have to be inspected annually …….. That’s at least one chance for someone to report back if there are signs of smoking .

But surely the tenant would be responsible regardless of who did the damage, obviously they aren’t going to catch someone in the “act” but what if someone has to enter the house and its thick in smoke and everywhere is yellow like in our case.

Don’t all boilers have to be inspected annually …….. That’s at least one chance for someone to report back if there are signs of smoking .

I think the point of any law is that 90% of people abide by it. So it is only a few people who flout it.

Councils already have the tools

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2007/2/15/govt-spends-30m-on-smoke-detectors

Should such a law be implemented in the UK it would be pretty much like any other smoking ban. If it was suspected that someone was breaking the law a visit would be made. If the detectors pick up the obvious signs action is taken. In the USA it appears they evict people.

I think the point of any law is that 90% of people abide by it. So it is only a few people who flout it.

Councils already have the tools

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/2007/2/15/govt-spends-30m-on-smoke-detectors

Should such a law be implemented in the UK it would be pretty much like any other smoking ban. If it was suspected that someone was breaking the law a visit would be made. If the detectors pick up the obvious signs action is taken. In the USA it appears they evict people.

I wonder how much its estimated the councils can make from a ban?Not that it would work as no council has the right to immidiate entry,and no court is going to allow them a search warrant.

Maybe the council will employ peeping toms :)

I wonder how much its estimated the councils can make from a ban?Not that it would work as no council has the right to immidiate entry,and no court is going to allow them a search warrant.

Maybe the council will employ peeping toms :)

I'm not sure anyone needs immediate entry. Cigarette smoke lingers for months and is easy to detect. That's how it is enforced in pubs. But the obvious answer would be to fit safety features like smoke detectors to each property.

I suspect that should anyone propose such a ban over here the Americans who have had such things in place for 7 years now will have plenty of advice on the matter.

Its a load of of old tosh..it can't be monitored and I'm sure housing dept's have more pressing issues. If people want to smoke its up to them....Why do the authorities always come up with stupid things like this? Perhaps they should try to ensure that all the elderly tenants in social housing are warm enough and have enough to eat, if its people health we're trying to improve..

Could smoking be banned in the UK's council owned houses?

This year the first of several laws were enacted to ban smoking in social housing in some US cities. This effectively bans smoking within what we would call council hoses and flats.

They always say what happens in America arrives here a few years later. Could this be the next of the ever increasing list of places where smoking is banned?

The only reason why this ban could bee seen as plausible is due to the smell and discolouration of the interior smoking causes.

Wouldn't a redecoration fee be better than banning smoking altogether?

I was just about to post the same. Irrelevant of what rules they pass, how on earth could it be proven that it was the tenant unless you actually witnessed people smoking?

EDIT- and, come to think of it, are you as the council, going to try to visit every property every week (or however often) in order to catch people smoking? That would cost millions of pounds a year just to catch people breaking a rule that you can't enforce because it's not against the law.

gnvqsos would volunteer to be an inspector and it would give him something useful to do.

He also professes a strange curiosity about rectums. Maybe he thinks they would be a good hiding place for illicit fags

Who gives you (or anyone for that matter) the right to dictate to people how they conduct themselves in their own homes?

Mortgaged property, possibly. But rented accomodation private or social landlord is different.

From a fire safety point of view ide band smoking and chip pans. The council suffers a lot of expense from such fire causes.

Archived