Could smoking be banned in the UK's council owned houses??

I doubt it will ever happen because the revenue raised from smoking for governments.

Didn't they get revenue for fags before it was banned in cinemas, aeroplanes, pubs, public buildings etc?

As the government seems to have an ambition that smoking will disappear from the UK by 2040 I can't see that being much of an issue.

Didn't they get revenue for fags before it was banned in cinemas, aeroplanes, pubs, public buildings etc?

As the government seems to have an ambition that smoking will disappear from the UK by 2040 I can't see that being much of an issue.

I'd disagree that smoking is bad for the economy, I don't smoke by the way..

The government raises billions in tax from it.

People die earlier so there's no need to pay state pensions for as long.

Everybody dies of something so the cost to the health service is a little misleading. If smokers croke of a heart attack aged 65 this is far less expensive than someone languishing in a nursing home until they're 90..

I would go as far as to say that the government makes a massive profit on smokers..in the savings they make and tax they raise..

I'd disagree that smoking is bad for the economy, I don't smoke by the way..

The government raises billions in tax from it.

People die earlier so there's no need to pay state pensions for as long.

Everybody dies of something so the cost to the health service is a little misleading. If smokers croke of a heart attack aged 65 this is far less expensive than someone languishing in a nursing home until they're 90..

I would go as far as to say that the government makes a massive profit on smokers..in the savings they make and tax they raise..

I have heard arguments both ways regarding whether smokers make a positive or negative impact on the economy. I really don't see it as relevant. In a civilized society the government's priority is the safety and welfare of its citizens, not maximising tax revenue. Otherwise they wouldn't insist on crash protection in cars, seatbelts speed limits or CAA checks on aircraft.

The government is looking to improve the health of the population by reducing smoking. If that reduces tax revenues it is still money well spent.

I have heard arguments both ways regarding whether smokers make a positive or negative impact on the economy. I really don't see it as relevant. In a civilized society the government's priority is the safety and welfare of its citizens, not maximising tax revenue. Otherwise they wouldn't insist on crash protection in cars, seatbelts speed limits or CAA checks on aircraft.

The government is looking to improve the health of the population by reducing smoking. If that reduces tax revenues it is still money well spent.

I'm sure the cost to the country, in terms of its health, is far more from alcohol. We're plagued by anti-smoking maniacs who try to come up with any sort of excuse to discriminate against people who choose to smoke. If they want to kill themselves its up to them..

Archived