Northumbria - anybody been?

Mo

Just been looking through a British Isles holiday brochure and Northumbria looks lovely, lots of golden beaches, castles and lovely countryside.

Has anybody been and can give any advice?

Wasn't Harry Potter filmed in a castle up there?

I've done a fair bit of climbing up there - it's lovely. Un-crowded and great scenery.

I can recommend a stay at Chillingham Castle, reputedly the most hauted house in England. Not that expensive either.

Yep i've been twice this year, for the first time, and it is a fantastic place.

I've just been up there for New Year and to walk on the beach on New Years day was amazingly invigorating and blew away any cobwebs.

The scenery is great, the beaches clean, and loads of castles and history and it is green with loads of walking places if that is what you are into.

We have stayed in Amble as a friend has a house there. It is a small fishing town which is friendly and has everything you could need (9 pubs), although lacking slightly on places to eat out. Warkworth is 2 miles away with it's castle and pubs that do excellent food. Alnwick is also not far and Lindesfarne is 30 min drive.

You also get to see the Angel of the North if you drive the right way to get up there. It takes between 2 and 3 hours to get there if the traffic is good.

Try it. It is somewhere i had looked at before but not got round to going to. I will be going at least once this coming year.

Thnaks for your replies. Northumberland definitely seems to be a very well kept secret, you just don't hear of people going there for holidays.

We love walking and the outdoor life and the kids like bucket and spade type holidays so it sounds ideal.

I think we might well give it a go this year.

Archived