Paypal quick question

Paypal uses a link to a bank account to verify your identity and because of this it does take a few days to set up. Basically they debit a few pence from your bank account and when you can tell them exactly how much then they know that you really are you.

Once you've verified your identity with them you can add credit cards and set up a default payment method (bank account or credit card).

None of the information that PayPal hold about you is disclosed to the people that you're paying- just your email address and that you have sent them a payment associated with a particular order number of theirs.

Paypal uses a link to a bank account to verify your identity and because of this it does take a few days to set up. Basically they debit a few pence from your bank account and when you can tell them exactly how much then they know that you really are you.

Once you've verified your identity with them you can add credit cards and set up a default payment method (bank account or credit card).

None of the information that PayPal hold about you is disclosed to the people that you're paying- just your email address and that you have sent them a payment associated with a particular order number of theirs.

Thank you. So if I went online now and set this up, with bank accounts details added. In a few days they take so much out, I ring to verify amount out and then all set up?

Is it free to buy off sites that run paypal?

Thank you for you response.

I use it for eBay purchases, paid for a weeks rental of a house in France for a holiday with it and paid for flights with Monarch with it.

You link your credit card or bank account to your PayPal account, once it's verified you just click pay with PayPal on the site your using and follow the instructions.

They verify your account by putting two deposits into your bank account, these are just a few pence, you then tell them how much they've paid in and that's it.

Never had a problem with it.

Thank you. So if I went online now and set this up, with bank accounts details added. In a few days they take so much out, I ring to verify amount out and then all set up?

Paypal is indeed free, only thing to watch it for are seller fees on eBay, I do know that you can't use eBay without a Paypal account these days (I used to swear AT Paypal when I first started using it, now I swear BY it)

You confirm the amount by logging in to your PayPal account- everything's done online.

Other than that yes, it's free. The PayPal fees are not that different to credit card fees so the businesses from which you buy will be set up for them to pay the fees.

The really important thing that you have to bear in mind is that once you have a PayPal account set up anybody logging in to your account can send whatever money is in your bank account or available on your credit card wherever they choose, so security is a major issue.

Make your password really secure, don't save it in your browser, change it regularly and if you have a mobile phone then I think it's also a very handy thing to have your account linked to your phone as a secondary security device.

What happens in that instance is that when you log in you click a button to send yourself a text with a 6 digit security code which is valid for 1 minute after being sent. You pick that up on your phone, enter the text and then you can use the account. If you don't have your phone with you then there are a selection of security questions that you can answer instead. It may seem a complete faff, but if you bear in mind that it's what stands between a potential hacker and your entire bank account and credit card, then it's worth setting it up.

Archived