Paypal quick question

It makes some cvalid points, but I use Paypal, not so much because I don't trust that a website will deliver and want a level of protection (although I don't think I'd be spending £100 with an untested website in the firstplace) but more because I don't always trust what a website might do with my card details.

Just be aware that paypal gives no protection unless you are buying through ebay-unless that has changed recently. I paid £60 for a box of broken glass and paypal don't offer protection for that!

Actually thinking about it two members of my family used paypal for ebay purchases which never arrived and I don't think they got refunded by paypal either!

Just be aware that paypal gives no protection unless you are buying through ebay-unless that has changed recently. I paid £60 for a box of broken glass and paypal don't offer protection for that!

Actually thinking about it two members of my family used paypal for ebay purchases which never arrived and I don't think they got refunded by paypal either!

As the article tates I would imagine you would have to proove that the seller had inadequately packed the goods for them to get involved. I would first contact the seller and whoever delivered it...

Likewise with Ebay, as I understand it, you have to raise an ebay dispute first to see if it can be resolved. Paypal won't/shouldn't just refund money because you say it didn't arrive, they (should) protect sellers too!

Personally I wouldn't link Paypal to a bank account, it gives them carte blanche to take money from your account, and its much harder to get it back. Not much fun if you live hand-to-mouth with your banking.

But if you link Paypal to your credit card and you dispute anything, you can just let Mastercard or Visa sort it, as its their money!

Hi, I've never used paypal, but want to purchase something online, but don't want to give cc details.

(IMHO) You're far better avoiding paypal and just using the CC if possible.

So just looked up paypal. It says free to use to buy if linked to my bank account?

I may be wrong on this but that would make alarm bells start ringing for me.

If the money comes directly from your bank account, what coverage do you have should something go wrong? None I'd imagine.

But if you link Paypal to your credit card and you dispute anything, you can just let Mastercard or Visa sort it, as its their money!

Yep, don't link directly to your bank account.

Also check when using Paypal to purchase online, some places add a small % for the transaction, about 2% (not ebay).

I've been using PP/Ebay since about 2004 and any 'errors' and I mean real errors and not where someone has tried to chisel me, they're more happy to help out, and even if someone is playing funny buggers.

There's been a couple of occasions where I've had no goods turn up. You open a dispute and they contact the seller. If they don't respond in something like 4 days you get a full refund.

Saying this, I mainly PP for Ebay. If I'm shopping elsewhere online I'll normally hit my card.

As the article tates I would imagine you would have to proove that the seller had inadequately packed the goods for them to get involved. I would first contact the seller and whoever delivered it...

Likewise with Ebay, as I understand it, you have to raise an ebay dispute first to see if it can be resolved. Paypal won't/shouldn't just refund money because you say it didn't arrive, they (should) protect sellers too!

I contacted paypal because the seller was ignoring all my emails/calls. Paypals exact response was "we do not cover items outside ebay purchases". It was irrelevant how it was packed.

Archived