Obsessed with medical labelling

I agree that these conditions are used too often as an excuse but it is exacerbated by the fact that professionals cannot seem to agree. Some 'experts' when confronted by an badly controlled child immediately label them as having ADD / ADHD or something similar and thus put the onus on other professionals to try to deal with that child instead of confronting the parents with the fact that they need to learn how to discipline etc.

Other 'experts' refuse to believe in the existence of these conditions so that children like my son are not supported in their education and thus lose out .

The lucky ones are the ones like my grandaughter who are in a school where the teachers know the signs of something like dyslexia and are prepared to follow up on it. These same teachers I might add are very good at dealing with the children who have problems with behaviour.

Totally agree with the OP - and while not knocking people with genuine conditions - there are also people that think claiming dyslexia/ADHD etc somehow makes them 'special' and milk it for everything it's worth. I remember a chap in a previous workplace that would make a point at every opportunity to discuss his disability, dyslexia, and make a point that he was disabled. while other dyslexics just got on with it and only brought it up if appropriate.

Archived