If you could vote on the future of benefits, how would you vote?

What should happen to benefit payments in the UK?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen to benefit payments in the UK?

• Benefit payments should be increased
    • Benefit payments should be decreased
    • Benefits should be stopped
    • Benefit claiments where possible should do menial jobs for their payments
    • Benefits should only be paid in vouchers
    • Other - Please state

Ok. It takes away their right to drink, gamble or spend it on anything other than the basics like food, heating, clothes and a roof over their head.

I dont see the problem:huh:

When I was out of work I felt marginalised and humiliated, having to go shopping with vouchers would just make those reliant on benefits feel even worse about their situation.

The trading Standards institution was eroded many years ago (lost my job because of it) and now relies mainly on on-line advice only.

I'm going on freinds who work in retail getting pretty regular TP's from trading standards. Maybe Sheffield has far more than the rest of the country.

If it can only be used for food, bills and clothing then they will have food in the cupboards clothes on their backs and electricity in the meter.

But they can use cash that everybody else uses - why change that? Unless you want to make the experience of being reliant on state benefits as unpleasant and humiliating as possible.

I was lucky that I was only unemployed for a relatively short while. I could imagine the experience of constantly feeling marginalised and humiliated would make the person feel less motivated and less inclined to feel a citizen in society who has the potential to get a job.

Besides which, as has already been posted, the scheme was tried for those seeking asylum and it didn't work then.

When I was out of work I felt marginalised and humiliated, having to go shopping with vouchers would just make those reliant on benefits feel even worse about their situation.

I agree, I get the impression that Chun li and other like minded people would go down to Morrisons, Asda or Tesco on voucher day so they could get behind people in the queue who have to use them as a means of getting a huge hard on.

Archived