If you could vote on the future of benefits, how would you vote?

What should happen to benefit payments in the UK?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen to benefit payments in the UK?

• Benefit payments should be increased
    • Benefit payments should be decreased
    • Benefits should be stopped
    • Benefit claiments where possible should do menial jobs for their payments
    • Benefits should only be paid in vouchers
    • Other - Please state

If it can only be used for food, bills and clothing then they will have food in the cupboards clothes on their backs and electricity in the meter.

Will you also tell people what food they can eat, what they can wear and when they can turn the heating on?

I agree, I get the impression that Chun li and other like minded people would go down to Morrisons, Asda or Tesco on voucher day so they could get behind people in the queue who have to use them as a means of getting a huge hard on.

I wonder if all these benefit bashers are as severe on those who dodge tax?

People have said that benefits are a disincentive for people to take a job and that there needs to be a shake up; I think that looking at the bigger picture and current problems within the whole economy would make it clear to most that low pay is the true disincentive. Most level headed people would agree that economic inequality is the cause of so many problems and this is just another example of what really needs to be rectified.

I really don't see what is so controversial about the idea that money taken from people who work and given to those who don't should not be spent on booze, fags and lottery tickets. I would not support contributary benefits or those to people who genuinely cannot work because of illness/disability being paid in this form but for those who have never worked then what is the issue with a bit of prescription about what they can spend other peoples money on?

I really don't see what is so controversial about the idea that money taken from people who work and given to those who don't should not be spent on booze, fags and lottery tickets. I would not support contributary benefits or those to people who genuinely cannot work because of illness/disability being paid in this form but for those who have never worked then what is the issue with a bit of prescription about what they can spend other peoples money on?

I don't think it's controversial I just don't think it would work and ultimately it would be counterproductive.

I really don't see what is so controversial about the idea that money taken from people who work and given to those who don't should not be spent on booze, fags and lottery tickets.

It's a free-ish country. With free-ish markets too. And you are talking about stopping people spending money with some of the big players in the FTSE 100, people that are amongst the best customers of those companies.

You won't get your wishes. Business will win out.

I don't think it's controversial I just don't think it would work and ultimately it would be counterproductive.

Surely where we have an underclass of people who regard welfare as a way of life and working as a joke (which we do) then one very good way to end that cycle is to make that way of life rather prescriptive?

On benefits you get X amount of other peoples money, which you can only spend on certain things. In full time work at minimum wageyou get X + 20% or whatever the figure is which you can spend on what you like as you earned it.

The major issue with have is a certain group of people viewing benefits as what they earn for existing and then regarding work as not worth the effort for the small increase in "their" earnings.

A voucher system for the long term unemployed would focus their mind that "their" money, isn't theirs, it's money taken from people who work and given to them with the intention of helping them survive between jobs, not to fund their existance forever.

Archived