If you could vote on the future of benefits, how would you vote?

What should happen to benefit payments in the UK?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen to benefit payments in the UK?

• Benefit payments should be increased
    • Benefit payments should be decreased
    • Benefits should be stopped
    • Benefit claiments where possible should do menial jobs for their payments
    • Benefits should only be paid in vouchers
    • Other - Please state

That's balls though isn't it? Why should the unemployed be denied the right to eat out occasionally, have a drink when they want one, or go to the pictures. Being unemployed isn't a crime, and it shouldn't entail such a massive curtailment of peoples freedoms.
Why should other people have to pay for their luxuries? The welfare state should be there to help people survive, not make them feel entitled to luxuries they have not earned.

If somebody on benefits can afford to buy a pint or a packet of cigarettes, we are giving them far too much money.

It's a bit more complex than the OP's options. The entire system needs overhauling.

It supposed to help people when they need it but for too long its doing too much to help the help themselves. We now have thousands of families that are utterly incapable of producing a child that may one day work for a living.

What 2 pairs of idiots voted for benefits to be stopped?! :rant:

Put down that copy of the Fail IMMEDIATELY! Stopping benefits will NEVER happen.

I'm guessing its people who are on very low wages who are struggling to make ends meet, but continue to do the right thing?

Probably sick of paying taxes from their meagre earnings to pay for the workshy? :|

I'm guessing its people who are on very low wages who are struggling to make ends meet, but continue to do the right thing?

Probably sick of paying taxes from their meagre earnings to pay for the workshy? :|

They probably wouldn't be quite so keen to see them stopped if they loose their jobs tomorrow though would they.

The quotation "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." comes from Shakespeare's Hamlet, Act III, scene II. The phrase has come to mean that one can "insist so passionately about something not being true that people suspect the opposite of what one is saying

Errr..yes I know...that's why I used it.. :)

I have not voted, because I did not know which one to choose, but I think the benefit system could be made more simple than it is.

Working benefits: up the min wage to at least £9an hour, and top up with benefits within 2 bands, earnings under 25k upto 25k and the same with over 25k upto 30k, ajust this if there is only 1 parent in the household.

Scrap all benefits, housing, council tax, social, disability etc, replace this with one benefit, deduct housing and council tax payments first, before you get your money, included with your money you get utility vouchers, food vouchers and the rest in cash. this will ensure that household can provide a good place for there children to live, and not worry about paying basic bills.

Cap benefits to 2 adults and 2 children per household, if people want to produce anymore offspring they will have to manage on the money they get, regardless of who lives in the same house.

reduce the benefit accordingly then for single people or single parents.

Hope this makes sense...... :)

Archived