If you could vote on the future of benefits, how would you vote?

What should happen to benefit payments in the UK?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen to benefit payments in the UK?

• Benefit payments should be increased
    • Benefit payments should be decreased
    • Benefits should be stopped
    • Benefit claiments where possible should do menial jobs for their payments
    • Benefits should only be paid in vouchers
    • Other - Please state

Whats benefits, £65 a week or something?? cant see many people paying bills, buying basics and enjoying a life of luxury on that.
We both know that with housing benfits, child allowances, not even mentioning the million-plus bogus incapacity claims out there, there are plenty of families drawing more equivalent post-tax income than they could reasonably expect to earn if working.

what part of not noticing strangers didnt you get :hihi:

Why would strangers be involved? I'm not suggesting doing TP's, just sit across the road from a suspect retailer and when they flash up a transaction on a DWP card if the person walking out the door clearly has a bag full of booze then there's the evidence. I'm not suggesting a card system would be perfect but given I can track my own transaction in real time via my phone it's technologically a piece of cake to put in place cost effective enforcement measures that would make small retailers not want to take the risk of breaking the rules.

We both know that with housing benfits, child allowances, not even mentioning the million-plus bogus incapacity claims out there, there are plenty of families drawing more equivalent post-tax income than they could reasonably expect to earn if working.

Apart from the exaggeration about incapacity claims what does the rest of your rant tell you about the level of income one can expect when working? Too low, perhaps?

We should just issue loaves of bread and some cotton sacks to wear as clothing at the job centre.

If you've paid tax all your life and lose your job you are no better than a criminal. How dare you use up other peoples taxes! Luxuries!? You should count yourself lucky that you are being fed. Back in my grandparents day if you lost your job you'd die by the end of the week.

Wouldn't mind things going back to that, get rid of the workshy.

We should just issue loaves of bread and some cotton sacks to wear as clothing at the job centre.

If you've paid tax all your life and lose your job you are no better than a criminal. How dare you use up other peoples taxes! Luxuries!? You should count yourself lucky that you are being fed. Back in my grandparents day if you lost your job you'd die by the end of the week.

Wouldn't mind things going back to that, get rid of the workshy.

Nice rant but it does rather ignore that people are not having a go at contributory benefits. Indeed I personally think contributary benefits should be far more in line with the German model to allow people a genuine chance to get a new job while keeping thier home etc.

The issue is with those who have never worked and have no intention of working. Surely you can't beleive we don't have an underclass entirely focused on what benefits they can maximise in order to fund a life of utter idleness?

I know people not wanting to go to work because it doesnt pay.

That still doesnt mean benefits should be cut to MAKE people go to work. It means both benefits and a working wage are too low for most people to make ends meet.

Its hard enough getting by as a single person sometimes. I have massive empathy for families.

Archived