If you could vote on the future of benefits, how would you vote?

What should happen to benefit payments in the UK?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen to benefit payments in the UK?

• Benefit payments should be increased
    • Benefit payments should be decreased
    • Benefits should be stopped
    • Benefit claiments where possible should do menial jobs for their payments
    • Benefits should only be paid in vouchers
    • Other - Please state

What nonsense.

If you eat and live (or should I say exist) as cheaply as possible and still find it impossible to make ends meet, as do many on benefits, how do you cut still further?

Answer - Buy even less food and go hungry, or beg, steal or borrow and get into debt which makes your position even worse.

I assume you have already got rid of the TV, never drink and so on.

What nonsense.

If you eat and live (or should I say exist) as cheaply as possible and still find it impossible to make ends meet, as do many on benefits, how do you cut still further?

Answer - Buy even less food and go hungry, or beg, steal or borrow and get into debt which makes your position even worse.

I wonder how many people who live like this own luxuries such as satellite TV, mobiles on contracts, broadband, plasma TVs, computers etc?

People are so spoilt in the UK these days that they don't know the difference between essentials and luxuries.

I would also like to see the stigma returned to the whole idea of claiming benefits. It used to be that people would refuse to claim benefits even if they were entitled to them as they were too proud to ask the state for handouts.

For a start the government could change the names of benefits, so for example Jobseekers Allowance could be renamed Scroungers Allowance, and Disability Living Allowance would be renamed Workshy Fakers Supplement. I know most benefit claimants have no shame but some might be so offended by the stigma that they might actually start looking for work!

I would also like to see the stigma returned to the whole idea of claiming benefits. It used to be that people would refuse to claim benefits even if they were entitled to them as they were too proud to ask the state for handouts.

For a start the government could change the names of benefits, so for example Jobseekers Allowance could be renamed Scroungers Allowance, and Disability Living Allowance would be renamed Workshy Fakers Supplement. I know most benefit claimants have no shame but some might be so offended by the stigma that they might actually start looking for work!

Won't happen, and nor should it! Not even in the wildest wet dreams of the Daily Fail's most ardent readers! :loopy::rant:

So what would make you start looking for work, Rich? Don't you think there's a stigma in relying on the state to fund your chosen lifestyle?

I have looked for and applied for jobs, a few months ago I applied to Game in Meadowhall, they never even acknowledged my application and filled the job internally! :rant:

I also applied to the new ASDA in S5, got refused because I can't work nights or weekends (and no, that is NOT because I am "workshy" before anyone even starts!)

I have looked for and applied for jobs, a few months ago I applied to Game in Meadowhall, they never even acknowledged my application and filled the job internally! :rant:

I also applied to the new ASDA in S5, got refused because I can't work nights or weekends (and no, that is NOT because I am "workshy" before anyone even starts!)

So what sort of work would appeal to you Rich .

Archived