If you could vote on the future of benefits, how would you vote?

What should happen to benefit payments in the UK?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen to benefit payments in the UK?

• Benefit payments should be increased
    • Benefit payments should be decreased
    • Benefits should be stopped
    • Benefit claiments where possible should do menial jobs for their payments
    • Benefits should only be paid in vouchers
    • Other - Please state

I strongly believe the UK benefits system needs a massive shake-up, IMO there is little to no incentive to get a job.

IMO people are using the benefit system as a lifestyle choice, rather than a stop gap/helping hand that it is there for. Masses are seeing benefits as an alternative to working, this is wrong and needs to be stopped.

As this forum reaches far and wide, I would like to hear from people who have decided that work isn't for them and benefits are. What made you come to this decision? Do you not feel like you are sponging from the workers?

Do you actually have any figures for how many long term unemployed there are?

Are you aware of the work in progress on the unified benefits system?

For a start theres no logic to shunting people into menial jobs or handing out vouchers. I don't even need to go into the reasons why it's THAT stupid.

I voted increase in payments citing scandanavia as a good example. People should also get an increase in minimum wage to around £8. If employers arent prepared to pay this they should take a good look at themselves and ask themselves could they live on min wage / benefits as they are?

Currently there is little motivation for people to get off benefits into low paid work.

The gap between the poorest and richest is getting wider, inflation is 5%, something has to be done.

For those that dont want to work and think its easier to claim benefits, let them get on with it. But we shouldnt penalise the majority.

Because the majority of people want to work, contribute to the economy but have been continually kicked in the teeth by this and previous governments.

If you punish the professional dole-ites you'll really only punish their kids. But we need to take a stand don't we or we'll just have another generation of workshy?
That's the round peg that needs to be squared. Chicken and egg situation, really.

In 'old money', children of the less well-off would usually be incentivised to do better for themselves than their elders. At least, that's the model I was raised under, and always saw around me. Save for the very very few lost causes (an infinitesimal minority which has always existed and always will, no matter what you do to/with benefits).

I'm well aware that the scale of the 'problem' is no doubt majorly and needlessly amplified by the Gvt/across the media, for political purposes.

But, and all the same, the problem of benefits-lifestyle is not limited to the UK at all. I have witnessed exactly the same causes and effects in France over the past decade and a bit. The only common point I see between both countries, is an amount of benefits that is too high to incentivise people to get-a-job-now-no-matter-which (but do we really want that situation?), and sufficient high to live semi-comfortably on (by modern western standards).

Should a stand be made? A generation or two of kids 'sacrificed' and put through potentially abject hardship, we hoping against hope that they'll decide, in their vast majority, to "do better" rather than just loot and riot every other day?

No easy answer (hasn't ever been, really) and I'll not be the one to cast the first stone at the Gvt (of whichever persuasion).

Call me an old reactionary (OK...maybe not so old :hihi:), but the one thing that should be done in the short to medium term, is tone down (censor? Oooo, flamesuit on!) the excessive materialist/celeb culture constantly peddled by the media day and night. That has a lot to answer for. Ever more, in fact. IMHO.

For a start theres no logic to shunting people into menial jobs or handing out vouchers. I don't even need to go into the reasons why it's THAT stupid.

I voted increase in payments citing scandanavia as a good example. People should also get an increase in minimum wage to around £8. If employers arent prepared to pay this they should take a good look at themselves and ask themselves could they live on min wage / benefits as they are?

Currently there is little motivation for people to get off benefits into low paid work.

The gap between the poorest and richest is getting wider, inflation is 5%, something has to be done.

For those that dont want to work and think its easier to claim benefits, let them get on with it. But we shouldnt penalise the majority.

Because the majority of people want to work, contribute to the economy but have been continually kicked in the teeth by this and previous governments.

If the minimum wage was increased wouldn't people further up the scale want an increase to maintain their differential..what'd be the reason for doing extra training/education (sometimes investing your own money) etc if you were only 50p/hr above minmum wage..?

If the minimum wage was increased wouldn't people further up the scale want an increase to maintain their differential..what'd be the reason for doing extra training/education (sometimes investing your own money) etc if you were only 50p/hr above minmum wage..?

Depends what scale we are looking at. There isnt one universal pay scale covering all industries so it's a hard question to answer.

Interesting point though. Obviously there would be a lot of details to be worked out but the base rate would still be £8. This would cover the absolute minimum people need for a productive life, which was worked at around 14k minimum income standard (2010).

Why on earth would an employer wonder if he could survive of minimum wage ? He has no doubt sacrificed family time, countless hours and put his house on the line to set up a business. Does the employee wonder what will happen if that big order is lost because he couldn't get in ? Of course not.

It's a bug bear of mine. Businesses, certainly small ones, are not an extention of social services. They take time to build and I'll guarantee the owners will work harder than the rest so why shouldn't they get more money and whilst they will try to look after their staff raising minimum wage by 50% will kill alot of big firms let alone small ones.

If it's that easy why doesnt everyone do it ? If you're under 25 you can get a grant/low interest loan (can't remember which now) stop whining and have go yourself.

The above rant isn't really aimed at anyone in particular, just sick of everyone who owns a business being labelled a "fat cat".

Sorry.

Archived