If you could vote on the future of benefits, how would you vote?

What should happen to benefit payments in the UK?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen to benefit payments in the UK?

• Benefit payments should be increased
    • Benefit payments should be decreased
    • Benefits should be stopped
    • Benefit claiments where possible should do menial jobs for their payments
    • Benefits should only be paid in vouchers
    • Other - Please state

Why on earth would an employer wonder if he could survive of minimum wage ? He has no doubt sacrificed family time, countless hours and put his house on the line to set up a business. Does the employee wonder what will happen if that big order is lost because he couldn't get in ? Of course not.

It's a bug bear of mine. Businesses, certainly small ones, are not an extention of social services. They take time to build and I'll guarantee the owners will work harder than the rest so why shouldn't they get more money and whilst they will try to look after their staff raising minimum wage by 50% will kill alot of big firms let alone small ones.

If it's that easy why doesnt everyone do it ? If you're under 25 you can get a grant/low interest loan (can't remember which now) stop whining and have go yourself.

The above rant isn't really aimed at anyone in particular, just sick of everyone who owns a business being labelled a "fat cat".

Sorry.

Hear hear. And the envy-ridden moaners conveniently forget that without 'greedy fat cats' they wouldn't have a job.

Why on earth would an employer wonder if he could survive of minimum wage ? He has no doubt sacrificed family time, countless hours and put his house on the line to set up a business. Does the employee wonder what will happen if that big order is lost because he couldn't get in ? Of course not.

It's a bug bear of mine. Businesses, certainly small ones, are not an extention of social services. They take time to build and I'll guarantee the owners will work harder than the rest ...

This is all very true of people who found businesses. It is often not true of people who inherit them, or are appointed to the board of directors merely because their family plays golf in the right club.

This is all very true of people who found businesses. It is often not true of people who inherit them, or are appointed to the board of directors merely because their family plays golf in the right club.
Do you think that's how most people make it to a company board?

It's a bug bear of mine. Businesses, certainly small ones, are not an extention of social services. They take time to build and I'll guarantee the owners will work harder than the rest so why shouldn't they get more money and whilst they will try to look after their staff raising minimum wage by 50% will kill alot of big firms let alone small ones.

If it's that easy why doesnt everyone do it ? If you're under 25 you can get a grant/low interest loan (can't remember which now) stop whining and have go yourself.

The above rant isn't really aimed at anyone in particular, just sick of everyone who owns a business being labelled a "fat cat".

Sorry.

Bothers me too, people whining about there jobs but not doing anything about it.

More people should have a go at starting a Business. But we still need many more people to be willing, motivated employees. And for that reason I'd raise the min wage to an acceptable standard.

Like how motivated can a £5 an hour employee be? you can only hit them with a stick so much before they tell you to f@@k off.

Valid point. Problem is people don't or can't tell the difference. It's the same with benefits. I've been on them and as a single chap it was a struggle I can tell you. But there are others who have made it a profession who do alright actually, get far more in terms of electrical trinkets and holidays than alot of working families. Therefore we should and make the distinction between the two. Now admittedly the government doesn't really do it for businesses ( lip service only in my view) so it will be hard for them to tell the difference of a family who are struggling when the main wage earner used to work in a steel mill for example and can't get employed and professional claimants who have no intention of working.

Also bear in mind the thin red line of the job centre and social services arent blessed with numbers, budget and dare I say skill to do much about it either.

That's another issue I see with benefits, there is a benefit for this, a benefit for that and one for the other too.

It would be much easier if all the various benefits were amalgamated into one benefit.

I also think benefit payment details should be available for everyone to view.

It's like you're deliberately not up to date with current affairs but want to comment on the issues anyway...

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/policy/welfare-reform/legislation-and-key-documents/universal-credit/

I don't get this other than some sort of prejudiced thing..

"Benefit claiments where possible should do menial jobs for their payments"

Any chance they could do any job other than "menial" should the occasion arise or where possible?

If they weren't menial and unaffordable then they should be employed to do them.

I'd tighten up Mobility claims, in regards to handing out vehicles.

IMO If the 'claimant' is able to drive an ordinary manual-gearbox car then the level of disability isn't severe enough to warrant a free one.

Because there are no disabilities that affect mobility and would leave someone able to drive, right, in your expert opinion?

Archived