If you could vote on the future of benefits, how would you vote?

What should happen to benefit payments in the UK?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen to benefit payments in the UK?

• Benefit payments should be increased
    • Benefit payments should be decreased
    • Benefits should be stopped
    • Benefit claiments where possible should do menial jobs for their payments
    • Benefits should only be paid in vouchers
    • Other - Please state

Vouchers is a stupid idea, which shops are going to go through all the hassle of accepting them? What if a shop doen't have what someone wants? etc etc

Then they wouldn't be able to buy them anyway.

Vouchers = money. It's no different to a shop accepting credit card payments.

Vouchers is a stupid idea, which shops are going to go through all the hassle of accepting them? What if a shop doen't have what someone wants? etc etc
A £20 note is just a voucher.

Major food and essentials retailers would gladly support a scheme if it brought them customers - supermarkets already issue and take vouchers for all sorts of things.

Perhaps you should tell their marketing teams that they're being stupid - after all, you know better than they do ;)

For a start theres no logic to shunting people into menial jobs or handing out vouchers. I don't even need to go into the reasons why it's THAT stupid.

I voted increase in payments citing scandanavia as a good example. People should also get an increase in minimum wage to around £8. If employers arent prepared to pay this they should take a good look at themselves and ask themselves could they live on min wage / benefits as they are?

Will taking a good look at themselves somehow stop them moving more jobs to India and the massive harm to our economy that pricing our labour at more than most of Europe would do?

Currently there is little motivation for people to get off benefits into low paid work.

Universal credit will solve that problem.

The gap between the poorest and richest is getting wider, inflation is 5%, something has to be done.

Agreed, but stimulating inflation to even higher amounts by increasing the minimum wage seems like a stupid thing to do.

For those that dont want to work and think its easier to claim benefits, let them get on with it. But we shouldnt penalise the majority.

Because the majority of people want to work, contribute to the economy but have been continually kicked in the teeth by this and previous governments.

The majority of people seem to be doing alright really.

Loads already take milk vouchers without complaint. They already take 10p off vouchers (which are a pain to sort out for very little money) so I can't see vouchers as a logistical problem.

If any problems exist it's more of an ideological / moral one. I'm not sure I like the idea I'm just sure I don't really like the alternatives.

Archived