If you could vote on the future of benefits, how would you vote?

What should happen to benefit payments in the UK?  

148 members have voted

1. 1. What should happen to benefit payments in the UK?

• Benefit payments should be increased
    • Benefit payments should be decreased
    • Benefits should be stopped
    • Benefit claiments where possible should do menial jobs for their payments
    • Benefits should only be paid in vouchers
    • Other - Please state

Other - I would vote for a simplified system that was easy to administer and understood by everyone. It could possibly allow for increased basic benefits because of savings in administration costs.

Something like what universal credit could eventually be if the Tories are allowed to get on with that particular part of the job with the cross-party support the changes deserve.

I'm not a Tory supporter but I happen to believe that in one area at least they seem to have the right ideas.

Other - I would vote for a simplified system that was easy to administer and understood by everyone. It could possibly allow for increased basic benefits because of savings in administration costs.

Something like what universal credit could eventually be if the Tories are allowed to get on with that particular part of the job with the cross-party support the changes deserve.

I'm not a Tory supporter but I happen to believe that in one area at least they seem to have the right ideas.

What, you mean bullying people and trying to push them around?

Why does it have to come down? Have you ever been a single person on benefits and had no money for food for 3 days? Right laugh, that like

Yep. Over 6 months on one occasion (not all without food ;)) House was cold cause I couldn't heat it either. I would have had vouchers. But at the same time I know people, families mostly who do very nicely thankyou very much on benefits. Holidays, consoles the lot. How is that fair on the working man ?

We need to slow the growth of families who have no intention of working and help those who do. We need to spend less that's for sure and I'm not sure vouchers would solve that anyway - are we annoyed at what the unemployed get or what they spend it on ??

Something has to change.

If people need help budgeting they can ask. Vouchers represent the state treating adults like children and removing their dignity and self direction.

Oh come on! the welfare dependency after 13 years of New Labour left a lumpenproletariate, to use a very old fashioned term, with a welfare dependency, that did nothing for their "self direction".

Thats one way of looking at it, but surely you dont think benefit money should be spent on alcohol and cigerettes.

They should be allowed to spend it on what they like, within reason.. Like me, I drink maybe 4 pints a week, go out twice a week, and I don't smoke (and never will)...

Oh come on! the welfare dependency after 13 years of New Labour left a lumpenproletariate, to use a very old fashioned term, with a welfare dependency, that did nothing for their "self direction".

Treating adults like children is unnaceptable. Being out of work is undignified enough without being forced to shop where the government tells you to on items chosen by the government. That's demeaning and discriminatory and humiliating.

Archived