Could you be tricked by con artists?

I don't mean the TV programme with that trio doing pub tricks etc, nor Roger Cook in a beard.

In the national news we hear every so often about serious conmen who pretend to be MI5 agents etc, and con hundreds of thousands out of many victims, some are intelligent professionals, and make them do awful things etc as 'loyalty tests'.

A lot of people say it wouldn't/couldn't happen to them as they'd 'see it coming', but victims and others say that these slimy gits 'creep up' on you over months with a subtle mixture of kindness, charm, sob story and half-truth? A constant drip, like water torture?

Is it possible for these fraudsters to spot a potential victim from afar, like a lion with an antelope? Or are their targets just gullible and dumb?

And could it happen to you?

I don't mean the TV programme with that trio doing pub tricks etc, nor Roger Cook in a beard.

In the national news we hear every so often about serious conmen who pretend to be MI5 agents etc, and con hundreds of thousands out of many victims, some are intelligent professionals, and make them do awful things etc as 'loyalty tests'.

A lot of people say it wouldn't/couldn't happen to them as they'd 'see it coming', but victims and others say that these slimy gits 'creep up' on you over months with a subtle mixture of kindness, charm, sob story and half-truth? A constant drip, like water torture?

Is it possible for these fraudsters to spot a potential victim from afar, like a lion with an antelope? Or are their targets just gullible and dumb?

And could it happen to you?

Yep :):):):)

Con artists play on of people’s greed, kindness or fear but the victim needs to be gullible.

:rolleyes::hihi: Yeh.

If someone is intelligent, not gullible, street aware and emotionally balanced, they're far less likely to be ripped off etc.

Actually their arrogance makes them a prime target.

Con artists can trick anyone, they just need to know which buttons to press.

Depends on the con and the Mark. I've no doubt the man from talk talk would have convinced a little old lady he was "checking the line" before getting her to change suppliers without her knowing. No doubt at all. These boiler room scams surprised me though. Anyone with 20k kicking about would surely see a con coming but it was surprising how many they got. Some high pressure sales can have you signing before you know where you are but are they cons as such ?

I had a newsagents shop, therefore I had cash in the till, no switch, credit cards etc. Every week we had a few conmen try it on with all sorts of scams, confusion over change, bent forged notes, dodgy pound coins. Then you got the 'we can save you money' types, every one a comedian. You have to be on your toes ALL the time.

I had various ways of getting rid of them including a very large nasty dog !!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I see no end of people who've been conned by these crooks. People are told they've won the lottery or inherited some money, and asked to send a fee to 'claim' their payment. Sadly some people do part with their money despite the fact they'd never entered the lottery/been related to the person who'd died. :(

Archived