43 average age for first time buyer.

Who failed to build new council houses between 1997-2010?

You can`t shut the gate once the horse as bolted but perhaps you can try damage limitation.

Although the scheme continued under Labour, the level of discount was capped by John Prescott at a maximum of £38,000.

Until someone opens the gate again.

It is expected that long-term tenants could now qualify for discounts of about 50 per cent, so that a tenant could buy a home worth £120,000 for just £60,000.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2063513/Government-revive-Thatchers-Right-Buy-scheme-2m-council-houses-sold.html#ixzz1eSRaDHU8

... add that to the idea of giving away selling nearly a million council houses to build just 100.000 new ones.

If a million council houses are to be sold, then presumably they will be sold to the million council tenants who occupy them.

The number of people in the group who need council houses will fall by 1 million, exactly in line with the reduction in the number of houses.

If 100,000 new council houses are built, then those additional houses will help to supply a demand from a smaller pool of potential renters.

Where's the problem?

Quoted for truth.

But what the hell, get the iPhone upgraded instead.

It would be very easy to take the average income and produce a list of 'average' luxury expenditures that people just expect as part of normal life today - like iPhones, computers, cars, widescreen tvs, Sky subscriptions, Playstations et al, and to work out, per year, how much they could save (or pay in mortgage) if they didn't choose to spend on frivolities.

The same goes for those on the lowest incomes - they're only poor if they spend badly.

I could have bought a house in batemoor on shop girl wages 15 years ago - I finally did buy a house on call centre wages 9 years ago... If I was working in a call centre now, I could still afford this house... Not sure why you'd wait until 43, unless you were waiting for 'the house' in the best area, etc... Perhaps it's harder in the south where wages are weighted, but still out of step with house prices...

Archived