Building a garden wall

i am wanting to raise abit of my garden about 3 to 4ft high

and doing that i need a wall and my problem been is that i am worried that once put up an dryed it will just fall over asoon as i put soil at one side.

i know you dig a trench to start with and build up but do you have to have two lines of bricks or a single line...

how would i make it stronger

The more lines you have the stronger it will be. I suggest you have it 4 lines (courses) at the bottom and then taper it in to one course when you get above ground level. You could also dig a trench and put some concrete in it then stand some flags in it to make the wall. Or perhaps get some railway sleepers this would be easiest and need the least experience and skill..

Wayne,

I would dig a trench where the wall is going to be for concrete footings of a depth of 12 inches (30cm) deep, and a little wider than the wall. Build on this what is called a "9" wall" , basically two bricks wide all the way up, not forgetting to use bricks ties. No need for a cavity for the pupose of your wall.

For the "footing mix" use 3 parts pebbles, 2 parts "sharp" sand, and 1 part cement.

For a strong "morter mix" use 4 parts building sand, 1 part cement, and 1/4 part hydrated lime.

You could always build the wall dry no mortar and slop it onto the bank of soil; it would be easy then to plant trailing ground cover plants to hide some of the wall. No building skills required but it would still need a compacted footing.

I found a couple of pictures

http://www.sustland.umn.edu/implement/images/wall_i8.gif

http://mohlermasonryblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/retaining-wall.gif

http://geosyntheticsmagazine.com/repository/2/8090/large_0407_f2_1.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I carry out handyman and gardening work part time

I came across your post whilst looking for something else, and thought the advice you've been given so far is just not good enough - except for Spider1

If you are still wanting a wall doing then contact me as I know a good brickie and we can have a chat about what you might want

Cheers

Hi,

I carry out handyman and gardening work part time

I came across your post whilst looking for something else, and thought the advice you've been given so far is just not good enough - except for Spider1

If you are still wanting a wall doing then contact me as I know a good brickie and we can have a chat about what you might want

Cheers

hi i am a retired bricklayer foundations and bwk are major jobs not cheap :hihi:

A wall is not the same thing as a 'retaining' wall.

I should look up the spec's before opening the bag of cement.

:hihi: Yes it is only thicker to make it stronger Depending on what it is retaining and if there is a drive way at side of it and what is using drive cars lorrys If it just a garden retaining wall 13inch thick should be okay Take advice from bricklayer doing work he should know :hihi:

Archived