How long before 'Father Christmas's are banned?

No patience is a virtue, I leave the curtains open on Christmas Eve so I can see Santa, the reindeers on the sleigh riding through the sky;)

I have three grand daughters ages 7, 6 and two. They all believe in Santa Claus. I see no reason to tell them he doesn't exist. When the eldest finds out she'll soon pass the word to the other two but let them enjoy it in the meantime.

Anyone who loves their children and wouldn't fill their head with lies.

In that case ban all kids books and films. They're all full of lies.

Soon enough though those years of wonderlands and innocence disappear to be replaced by the hard often drab realities of life. Why speed up the process?

The Dutch have Sinterklaas and Zwarte Piet (Santa Claus and Black Peter). If you're a good and well behaved child you get presents from Sinterklaas. If you've been a bad child over the previous year Black Peter will take you away in his sack and do unspeakable things to you.

Here they both are, pictured earlier today :o - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Sint_in_spanje.jpg

In that case ban all kids books and films. They're all full of lies.

Soon enough though those years of wonderlands and innocence disappear to be replaced by the hard often drab realities of life. Why speed up the process?

And religion, whilst you're at it (banning, that is).

The Dutch have Sinterklaas and Zwarte Piet (Santa Claus and Black Peter). If you're a good and well behaved child you get presents from Sinterklaas. If you've been a bad child over the previous year Black Peter will take you away in his sack and do unspeakable things to you.

Here they both are, pictured earlier today :o - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6c/Sint_in_spanje.jpg

I remember seeing this on another forum and making a quip about it. I'm surprised that they get away with it but the Dutch are a lot more relaxed than we are. They were the major settlers in SA, after all, so are obviously a very racist nation.:hihi:

That I wouldn't do. They'll come to terms with that issue by themselves much later in life. It's not for me to decide for them

I let my kids make up their own minds. We've discussed religion and I was always circumspect in sharing my views as I didn't want to influence them. Obviously, given the total absence of any church/house of worship going, they knew that I do not practice any religion (apart from the worship of shoes). They're now both atheist.

Anyone who loves their children and wouldn't fill their head with lies.

Mine have found out for themselves that it's not true, but they don't let on to us.It's an indulgence and applies a bit of magic to the whole thing.

Surely you wouldn't deny them that!

I let my kids make up their own minds. We've discussed religion and I was always circumspect in sharing my views as I didn't want to influence them. Obviously, given the total absence of any church/house of worship going, they knew that I do not practice any religion (apart from the worship of shoes). They're now both atheist.

My son and daughter-in-law decided to enroll the two eldest in a non-denominational christian school which they each attended for a couple of years while in child care and kindergarten classes. Religious teaching was naturally part of the curriculum and they both believe in god and jesus as do my son and daughter-in-law although they are not active church goers. It would never under any circumstances as a grandparent do for me to attempt to steer the grandaughters away from these beliefs and I'm far from being a convinced atheist either for that matter.

Really it's none of my business anyway. These girls will in years from now as adults come to their own terms with the issue

Archived