Another reason to legalise drugs

The post suggested one thing that kills you causes more deaths than another things that often kills you.

The argument usually goes, drugs are safer than alcohol so should be legalised.

Daft at it's very best.

The argument actually goes, society considers using alcohol to be acceptable, and alcohol is more dangerous than most drugs, so society should consider using most drugs to be acceptable.

It's pretty obvious really.

Many biscuits are also exempt-sorry but I used to be a marketing director for Nabisco and was involved in numerous consultations with HMRC over the classification of food.Digestives with choc=food,cookies with choc chips=confectionery;all rather confusing.

If it's a biscuit, then it's not exempt, that's the basic premise of the law.

We all know about jaffa cakes and the legal arguments surrounding them, but buy some Bournons or rich tea and you're paying vat, something you contend that only a mug does.

Buy a pint of beer and you're paying far more duty than that, do you ever buy beer and pay a regressive tax like a mug?

If it's a biscuit, then it's not exempt, that's the basic premise of the law.

We all know about jaffa cakes and the legal arguments surrounding them, but buy some Bournons or rich tea and you're paying vat, something you contend that only a mug does.

Sorry, but you're totally wrong. Most biscuits are zero VAT, it's only biscuits with a chocolate coating that you pay VAT on. Bourbon creams & rich tea are zero VAT.

You'd have to be more extravagant & buy a Kit Kat or something like that to pay VAT on it.

Okay, my examples have all been really poor so far!

There is duty on beer though right? I didn't choose it as it's too obvious a comparison to other drugs, but maybe I should have done. :D

Chocolate then, a kit kat, includes a charge for VAT, substitute kit kat for all my cake/biscuit comments earlier.

Hopefully the point was made despite the incorrect choice of food item as an example of things which do attract duty and don't make you a mug for buying them.

It's still a big jump from that to putting VAT & duty on cannabis, surely there is some way around that - tea doesn't have VAT on it.

I've always preferred bourbons to kit kats anyway, but being cheaper due to no vat does help my decision at the biscuit aisle.

Tobacco and alcohol have large amounts of specific duty above and beyond VAT added to them, but I'd hazard a guess that gnvqsos has purchased one or the other before and not considered himself to be a mug due to doing so.

That was the point I was responding to, saying that cannabis should be sold with duty added on (I agree) and that anyone who bought it was thus a mug (I disagree).

So you think it should be sold without duty and that anyone who buys it is then not a mug for not paying duty on it?

How do you justify those opinions?

It's a herb. Many people call it 'weed' because it's so easy to grow. If the duty is at a level where it is cheaper to grow your own then you'd be a mug to buy it from a shop that charged a high duty on it.

If the duty was set too high then the black market would still exist.

Archived