Another reason to legalise drugs

True, but if it were legalised to sell in shops then it would presumably be legal to grow for your own use. Some people might not have the time, space or inclination to do that, much like brewing your own beer. I don't think that people who buy beer are mugs for not brewing it and paying duty on it.

If it's a biscuit, then it's not exempt, that's the basic premise of the law.

We all know about jaffa cakes and the legal arguments surrounding them, but buy some Bournons or rich tea and you're paying vat, something you contend that only a mug does.

Buy a pint of beer and you're paying far more duty than that, do you ever buy beer and pay a regressive tax like a mug?

No but I do drink from a mug.I am a big fan of bournons who got their name from the European bourBons.I have never contended that I buy biscuits,which I do not-I have a very good figure which I hope to retain.My mother in law keeps me stocked up with these delights.

You don't have to drink to know that alcohol kills more people every year than cocaine and heroin combined! It's common knowledge!

Cars kill more people than guns so shall we ban cars and legalise guns?It sounds like fun,and would be popular in certain quarters.

No but I do drink from a mug.I am a big fan of bournons who got their name from the European bourBons.I have never contended that I buy biscuits,which I do not-I have a very good figure which I hope to retain.My mother in law keeps me stocked up with these delights.

Do you avoid buying anything that attracts extra tax then so as to avoid being a mug?

Okay, my examples have all been really poor so far!

There is duty on beer though right? I didn't choose it as it's too obvious a comparison to other drugs, but maybe I should have done. :D

Chocolate then, a kit kat, includes a charge for VAT, substitute kit kat for all my cake/biscuit comments earlier.

Hopefully the point was made despite the incorrect choice of food item as an example of things which do attract duty and don't make you a mug for buying them.

Very poor and you were wrong to contradict an employee of Nabisco,famous for ritz crackers,named after the savoy hotel in London.

Cars kill more people than guns so shall we ban cars and legalise guns?It sounds like fun,and would be popular in certain quarters.

Guns are legal, but controlled in much the same way the car is, ie they require a license and there are restrictions on how you use them.

Cars and guns are not however really comparable as they aren't the same category of item.

Cannabis and alcohol clearly are both recreational drugs and so are directly comparable.

Did you want to engage in serious conversation now, or just continue to be silly?

People who want to take drugs will take them whether its legal or not. But if it becomes legal you will get more kids trying it just because its so easy to get hold of

Except that all the evidence suggests that you're wrong. Drug use has fallen in Portugal, heroin use was maintained at a very low level when it was freely available to addicts in the UK, etc, etc...

Smoking is another example, the number of smokers continue to fall despite it being legal.

It's a herb. Many people call it 'weed' because it's so easy to grow. If the duty is at a level where it is cheaper to grow your own then you'd be a mug to buy it from a shop that charged a high duty on it.

If the duty was set too high then the black market would still exist.

Can you please provide evidence for this statement about people calling cannabis weed because it's easy to grow, because I think it's totally utter made up rubbish!

Guns are legal, but controlled in much the same way the car is, ie they require a license and there are restrictions on how you use them.

Cars and guns are not however really comparable as they aren't the same category of item.

Cannabis and alcohol clearly are both recreational drugs and so are directly comparable.

Did you want to engage in serious conversation now, or just continue to be silly?

Just ignorebthis persons posts. I've learned from my mistakes.

Archived