Another reason to legalise drugs

Cake as a food is exempt from VAT-its called zero-rating,so its a poor analogy.Cake is not addictive and peddled by dealers,unless Marks and Spencers has undergone a culture change.

I do eat cake occasionally but struggle with my weight so only eat it when I visit friends in HMPs

There was nothing about the addictive quality of the drug in the post I replied to, it was purely that buying something that has any duty applied to it makes you a mug. Biscuits (now I've revised my analogy) or maybe petrol, as examples.

The more mugs the better if they want to pay yet another voluntary regressive tax

Yeah, look at those stupid biscuit eaters, paying a voluntary regressive tax, mugs. Look at the clever ones, only eating cake from within the EU.

There was nothing about the addictive quality of the drug in the post I replied to, it was purely that buying something that has any duty applied to it makes you a mug. Biscuits (now I've revised my analogy) or maybe petrol, as examples.

Yeah, look at those stupid biscuit eaters, paying a voluntary regressive tax, mugs. Look at the clever ones, only eating cake from within the EU.

Many biscuits are also exempt-sorry but I used to be a marketing director for Nabisco and was involved in numerous consultations with HMRC over the classification of food.Digestives with choc=food,cookies with choc chips=confectionery;all rather confusing.

Many biscuits are also exempt-sorry but I used to be a marketing director for Nabisco and was involved in numerous consultations with HMRC over the classification of food.Digestives with choc=food,cookies with choc chips=confectionery;all rather confusing.

It gets pretty confusing on the borderline between baked goods & confectionery. A chocolate coating is a factor, chocolate chips are ok according to current advice, by the look of it. If it can be successfully argued in court that it's actually a cake (like jaffa cakes), then the chocolate coating doesn't matter.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000118&propertyType=document#P199_8599

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/vfoodmanual/vfood6200.htm

Shortbread is interesting, normal shortbread is zero vat, shortbread with chocolate on top is liable for vat, but add some caramel (millionaires shortbread) & it's zero vat.

You don't have to drink to know that alcohol kills more people every year than cocaine and heroin combined! It's common knowledge!

That's like saying walk down the slow lane of the M1 because more people are killed in lane 3.

One of the dafter arguments for legalising drugs.

Archived