Whatever happened to the 12 days of Christmas. ?

Several of my neighbours already have their decorations up, and i've this morning received my first Christmas card. !

I know it's a fun time of year but doesn't trying to extend it water it down a little. ?

Ourselves, we've bought our kids main presents but won't even be thinking of decorating the house or putting the tree up till at least mid December, at the earliest, we like to try and keep to the traditional 12 days.

Whilst I don't want to be picky... the 12 days of Christmas are the 12 days commencing December 25th (Christmas day) until January 6th (Epiphany, which in the Christian calendar celebrates the wise men's pilgrimage). It isn't, as you're thinking, 12 days before Christmas day.

But yes, decorations this early is ridiculous.

Do you mean outside lights?

I know some people who start putting their outside lights up early, especially if they've got quite a few, before the weather turns more nasty. They don't switch them on though until December.

Or do you mean that some people actually have trees decorated in their houses already, and tinsel and stuff?

Whilst I don't want to be picky... the 12 days of Christmas are the 12 days commencing December 25th (Christmas day) until January 6th (Epiphany, which in the Christian calendar celebrates the wise men's pilgrimage). It isn't, as you're thinking, 12 days before Christmas day.

But yes, decorations this early is ridiculous.

Ah, i didn't know that.

We tend to start the build up around 10 days before or so, we like to build the anticipation for the kids, so don't start too early.

@ Darth Vader.

No, interior decorations, the full works, lights, the tree, everything.

I'm no kill joy, each to their own, myself i celebrate the 21st being slightly "pagan" but i do the whole Christmas thing too as we have 4 kids.

I just feel stretching it out over 8 weeks is a bit too much, and spoils the magic of it a little, like celebrating a birthweek rather than a birthday, if you will.

I just feel stretching it out over 8 weeks is a bit too much, and spoils the magic of it a little, like celebrating a birthweek rather than a birthday, if you will.

I know a few families who put up the decorations round about the middle of November "because they love Christmas so much."

Inevitably, by the middle of December those same families are griping to me about how fed up with Christmas they are, and can't wait for it to be over.

It seems to me that there's some connection there, but nobody seems to spot it.

Our (4) kids, after seeing the neighbours house decked out are pressuring us to get the ball rolling, but we're standing firm. :D

We hang all our Christmas cards the same time we put up our decorations and it won't be much of a spectacle with just 1. :hihi:

We aren't scrooges, but we want to hang on and let the anticipation build for them as we feel it makes the occasion more memorable that way.

Love it!! OP starts pompous thread about 12 days of Christmas, only to find they are just as much in the wrong as their neighbour!!!!

HAAAAAAA HAAAAAAAAAA (<Nelson Muntz)

Anyway- we should all be thankful we don't live next door to this moron

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1088872/Man-celebrates-Christmas-day-scaling-celebrations-credit-crunch.html

Archived