Sheffield's new £80m theme park

duffman

Access will be a nightmare and in the summer traffic will be shocking. It's bad enough around there as it is, it's a location that is surrounded by traffic (Penistone Road, Rutland Road etc) most of the day. I have to pass through that traffic and it pi$$es me right off sitting in it, anymore would be a nightmare.

The reason they won't allow Ikea to build a store off the Parkway is it breaches planning guidelines about out of town shopping developments, and concern it would add to the Meadowhall effect of sucking life out of the city centre.

I believe the council have suggested an alternative site in the Castlegate area.

Now an alpine themed leisure park based around an existing ski facility is not something that can be put in the same category, the questions that are likelty to be asked is whether is disrupts residents or businesses in the area, whether is could damage the economy of the area, whether it is a location that has been categorised for different use in the local plan etc etc.

As far as I can think the only negative effect on the local area this development would have is causing traffic congestion, otherwise it can only be a good thing - better local facilities, attracting people to the city and spending money in the city, and creating jobs.

I recently visited the indoor ski slope in Leeds. Even though it is much shorter than the Sheffield slope, the soft snow is much nicer to fall over on!

I think this new development in Sheffield is supposed to be allong the same lines (indoors with snow), and if it is a simmilar length as the current site then it would be much better than the Leeds one.

CF.

Once, but it was about 5 years ago now! Back then they only had that horrable honeycomb matting that you realy didn't want to fall over on. Now I believe they have a continious form of matting, a bit more like a very slippy carpet. I guess I should go check it out again sometime.

Anyone else?

I currently visit the ski village on a weekly basis, taking a group up there. Good luck to them, it's a fantastic idea - but I'd rather they spent a bit of time and energy learning how to run the business that they already have. Organisation up there is non existant, prices that I've been quoted change on a daily basis (and then they bill you something different altogether.)

If there was a local competitor, I wouldn't be going to the ski village - although all the instructors that we've had have been good.

• 1 month later...

yeah I think the theme park proposal is generally good for the city. Theme parks have been proven as one of the most inclusive leisure experiences which appeal to families and youth groups alike. As long as issues such as public transport, safety and prices are dealt with in an equal liberal manner then why not....and the key is inclusion will the theme park be a x games elitist US-MTV influenced playground for the boarders or will it be for the family and groups not 'into' x-sports..this is the key especially if public money is invloved xr

Used to work at the Ski Village and know most of the people there, the chances of this happening are slim to non existent - Tim and John have these plans but they rarely get anywhere. Still waiting for the static bungee, the alpine lodge apartments etc.

Archived