Wedding DJ questions.

Hi,

We have booked our wedding for 2013 and will be having the reception in a Papakata tent. They are providing a generator that is 40 kvd with 36 plugs and 12 hours of fuel. This will need to run the lights and the DJ. The caterers will be using an indoor kitchen with sockets.

I just wondered how this works and if any DJ's have used a teepee before?! If we'll be sitting down for our meal at about 3pm, will the DJ need to get in before to set up or will there be time to set up before the evening guests arrive and day guests are mingling? What I don't want to happen is for guests to be getting in the way while someone is trying to get in and out with their equipment. Also, as we're in a tent and a lot of people may be staying inside, I don't want it to look disorganised!

If anyone can help give advise please let me know, also, if you feel you could DJ please PM me with a quote!

Many thanks,

Claire

First - well done on planning ahead. You'd be amazed at the number of people who leave it until last minute.

The gen depends on the kitchen and how much power they'll need. The DJ won't need that much unless it's a massive tent. If you can find a DJ with his own gen as I used to have, it's a bonus as you'll have back up power in case of **** up.

Any good DJ will set up before the guests arrive but may charge more as he'll have to make extra trips and, perhaps, lose an afternoon kid's party. I used to set up all the heavy kit but take the computer/s and mixers last so as to avoid people messing about with the kit.

The last bits are small and easy to carry without disturbing guests so no problems there but you may want to consider a back door to the tent to allow service staff to enter/leave kitchens and so on.

Any good DJ will set up before the guests arrive but may charge more as he'll have to make extra trips and, perhaps, lose an afternoon kid's party. I used to set up all the heavy kit but take the computer/s and mixers last so as to avoid people messing about with the kit.

The last bits are small and easy to carry without disturbing guests so no problems there

Pretty much what I would have told you. Personally I like an hour to load in and set up so it would likely be annoying to you and your guests for me and my roadie to be carrying in big speakers and flight cases. I would charge extra for the early set up though.

One other thing to consider, I know these Papakata tents can be quite big but make sure you find out exactly how much space (and height) will available to your DJ as he will need to tailor his setup to fit into the available space.

I'd be very cautious about running my gear off a generator. One spike in power and my equipment could be badly damaged. A DJ would want to know how reliable the generator is, whether power is consistent and would have to check whether their insurance would cover them if someone else's power supply which they were using would cover them if their amp blew up if the generator failed to offer a continual power supply. Most DJs only have Public Liability Insurance, this covers them if their equipment hurts other people, not the other way around. A DJ should be looking to see if there is insurance out there to protect them if this happens.

I'd be very cautious about running my gear off a generator.

That's why I carried my own. You wouldn't believe how many bad gens there are out there.

I recall on big jobs where three of the four, very expensive, hired gensets, failed.

I've worked with generators before and I'm pretty sure the venue you are having it at and whoever is supplying the generator know what they are doing, and any sensible DJ would take their own RCD socket in this type of situation.

Most DJs would be fine, as most now use the latest LED lighting which doesn't use much resources.

Having said the above, should there be some kind of power failure then the reponsibility lays with you and the venue in making sure we have a continuous power source, in the event off loss of power for the whole evening would still mean full DJ fee payable, but I have never known a power loss all evening.

Thanks for you replies, all very helpful and informative! I will be able to get the dimensions of the tents, so I can provide these to the DJ and PapaKata have assure me the generators are reliable. However, should there be any failings the venue does have outside sockets (on the side of the building), that could be used if required. Thanks everyone, finding a DJ doesn't seem as daunting now!!

Claire

You've been lucky. I've worked in a hotel where the power went off at the start of the first dance. I've also known another DJ who had his amp fried when the generator failed.

It happens.

had two amps and a speaker well cooked at i think it was called pitz or similar at the time on woodburn road attercliffe many years ago. trouble was, the club knew there was a problem with the house electrics but had not got it sorted. managed to get to the end of the night. all those bloody stone steps outside to climb up and down. never again.

Archived