Minimum Wage: Is it a success?

It occurs to me that the minimum wage has plusses and minus's.

Yes it's stopped unscupulous employers from running profitable company's and paying their workers sweatshop, P*** poor wages. At least there's a legally enforceable minimum they can pay. Albeit, it's debateable if that wage is enough to sustain the average family expenditure without claiming 'other' benefits.

On the downside, is there a case to be argued that the minimum wage has surpressed wage increases? In as much as long as the company complies with the law and pays the minimum required (in this time when jobs are hard to come by) then that's fine, that's all they'll pay! Also, has it fuelled the influx of european and other migrants to come to the UK because that minimum wage is far more than they would get in their own country? And in turn helped to surpress wages, cos an employer can always get someone to do the job for a poor wage?

Thoughts?

Also, has it fuelled the influx of european and other migrants to come to the UK because that minimum wage is far more than they would get in their own country? And in turn helped to surpress wages, cos an employer can always get someone to do the job for a poor wage?

That would be true with or without the minimum wage. If the free market pays cleaners under the minimum wage, for example, that price might still be more than a cleaner could earn in Eastern Europe. The common markets are built on people moving around.

There's the results of a survey for The Institute for Government which puts the minimum wage among the top successful policies.

I'm guessing that the responses from the myriad organisations and individuals surveyed carry some weight.

I notice looking at the link you provided, that yes indeed, the minimum wage (on the face of it) appears to be the most successful policy since the 80's. However, I also notice that the vast majority of 'respondents' to the survey had 'political interests'. Also. Does the average 'Joe Soap' know anyone who belongs to "The institute for Government". I think probably not. I wonder if they carried out the same survey amongst Mr Average in the street would the overwhelming result be the same? I think probably not.

But it's interesting to see the other half's viewpoint (although 'half' is more likely to be the 0.000001%)...lol

There are lots of conflicting views, and that study is more than a bit woolly Max. I'd be interested in the hard data that should be behind the responses. I suspect that it is more about perception than real impact. Slide 6 is an eye opener in this regard.

In truth, I fear that rather than putting a floor under wages, the MW has too often created a race to the bottom, glued people there, eliminated opportunity and stifled growth for them, their families, and wider society.

So no, I don't think that it is a success.

There are lots of conflicting views, and that study is more than a bit woolly Max. I'd be interested in the hard data that should be behind the responses. I suspect that it is more about perception than real impact.

In truth, I fear that rather than putting a floor under wages, the MW has too often created a race to the bottom, glued people there, eliminated opportunity and stifled growth for them, their families, and wider society.

So no, I don't think that it is a success.

Here here......[waves papers...houses of parliament style]

I agree!

As a matter of interest, does anyone know if for instance the average family of say husband and wife and 1 or 2 kids. The husband is the only breadwinner and receives minimum wage. Are they entitled to 'top up' benefits?

If that's the case, then by their own admission (the gov), the minimum wage isn't enough. Otherwise they wouldn't need to pay 'top up' benefits!

Just a thought!

Archived