Why do shops like cash converters rip you off

I own a similar type of shop to Cash Convertors.

Can I point something out. You come to us. Ask us how much we will pay for your goods and we give you a price.

Now read this. YOU THEN DECIDE IF YOU WANT TO SELL AT THAT PRICE

Now if you dont want too, you decline and go elsewhere or if you accept, we pay you there and then for the product and then it is ours to do as we wish. If I want to take it in the back room and smash it up I can because it is mine.

I traded a car in about 3 months ago and got £12,770 for it. A month ago, I got a call of the new owner asking me about the mileage etc and I asked how much he had paid for the car. £16,775 he had paid.

Its called mark up people and we all have it or we cant survive.

i have took items that cost load and thay offer you penys

You have to take items that cost more new than they'd ever be worth second hand to places like this when you are on the bones of your arse - You know this, they know this, and the pennies you recieve are all you will get for shonky electricals that are expensive new but worthless second hand...

I would imagine these places are heaven sent for thieves and burglars that used to get perhaps 10% of the value from their drug suppliers.

Not really as everyone who brings ANYTHING into us to sell or for a cheque cashing is firstly Identified by passport/driving license and address documents. Then in addition, they have their photo taken and stored on a computer.

Every item we take in is scanned for the postcode etched or printed on in ultra violet pen.

Please explain why I would want to take stolen goods in knowing that if the police come round, they will take the goods straight off of us. We work closely with the police because sometimes even having someones picture wont deter them trying to sell us goods.

I would imagine these places are heaven sent for thieves and burglars that used to get perhaps 10% of the value from their drug suppliers.

Oddly, no... Perhaps they have been in the past, but apparently they don't get asked by those who have been on the rob too often, as they report people who obviously have never owned a particular item, or they are offered a ridiculously low price when offered something that may be dodgy... Those who rob houses will have mates to pass such things onto - cash converters et al wouldn't make this pay for a thief...

Not really as everyone who brings ANYTHING into us to sell or for a cheque cashing is firstly Identified by passport/driving license and address documents. Then in addition, they have their photo taken and stored on a computer.

Every item we take in is scanned for the postcode etched or printed on in ultra violet pen.

Please explain why I would want to take stolen goods in knowing that if the police come round, they will take the goods straight off of us. We work closely with the police because sometimes even having someones picture wont deter them trying to sell us goods.

Thank you for explaining that to me.

i have took items that cost load and thay offer you penys

That's how they make their money. If you want a better deal, sell via eBay or Sheffield FreeAds.

As long as people keep taking stuff to Cash Converters, they'll stay in business. If they stop, they'll go out of business.

That's capitalism. The power is with you, if you only realised it.

To be honest, I have found it so much hassle when I have had something to sell, that I no longer bother.

Instead I give it away to somewhere like St Vincent de Paul.

When I had a chest freezer to sell for £10, which was a fantastic bargain, the chap only wanted to pay a fiver.

I have just had a microwave collected by St V.

Jesus wept...talk about losing all your pride...

Archived