Leadbetter & scott

GRANVILLE

Has anyone got any information on this company which is suggested ceased trading around 1919? I presume they were involved with the steel industry in some way as it appears they may have had a hand in the production of steel helmets during WW1. Is it possible they were taken over by Miris perhaps?

Dave

Amended posting because I thought the company was Leadbetter & Scott, but now realize its LEADBEATER & Scott

granville

there was a steel firm on penistone rd called leadbeater&scott or leadbetter&scott they used to do centreless grinding and cold rolling nice little firm that looked after its workers.a mate of mine used to work there and i used to meet him after sat morn shift and go in pub next door which was called the old light horseman this was early sixties

Hi GRANVILLE - it seems the firm may have closed down about 40 years ago, as I have the 1968 Kelly's Directory which shows them on Penistone Road (at the bottom of Albert Terrace Road, next to the Old Light Horseman as rabbiter noted) but they are not mentioned in the 1973 directory. Here is a scan from the 1942 directory.

Archived