Israel shuts liberal radio station in attempt to silence criticism of right

Because this thread is about Israel and it's so called 'democratic' values. If you wish to talk about other states, then please create a separate thread for them.

So, going back to the topic on hand, why has Israel decided to close the peace radio station now, Jericho ?

Do you think it was politically-motivated ?

You brought up this subject of closing down pirate radio stations being 'undemocratic'

Two simple questions:

Do we do the same here in the UK? I say Yes, what do you say?

How would your Islamists states have reacted? Its a straightforward and relevant question.

why is it irelevant to the topic of pirate radio stations to ask what would happen to a pirate radio station in an Islamic state?

Because this is about one in Israel, nothing to do with other countries.

Why did CXC avoid that question?

Because this is about a radio station in Israel?

I love how i'm the one accused of diversion.

Because you are?

He was so desperate himself to divert the topic yesterday from Syrian human rights/Asian grooming/Palestinian refuse peace threads, that this damp squib of a story (against the Jewish state naturally) was the very best he could do.

Another irrelevance. Pull people on the thread in question rather than try to divert another thread.

I guess you haven't sussed him yet.

What, just because I'm trying to stay on topic then I haven't "sussed him yet"? What tremendous logic, not.

For 7 years the station was running without any problems. Everyone knew about it including the Israeli authorities.

This demonstrates how tolerant of political discent Israel is.

Why has it been closed down now ?

Yes, why now, after a good run of 7 years? perhaps the radio station began being more extreme.

This demonstrates how tolerant of political discent Israel is.

Yes, why now, after a good run of 7 years? perhaps the radio station began being more extreme.

Thats what the reports are suggesting. The reason they wanted it shut down was because of incitement. The fact it was a pirate station only made it easier.

Down to his outrage, we can safely assume the OP tuned in regularly, so maybe he can clarify if the term 'incitement' was a fair assessment? :)

And apologies if this is deemed by some to be "off-topic" but what is the punishment for illegal broadcasting in the Arab/Islamic states? Just out of pure interest?

Create a seperate thread on that topic, please.

Thank you.

OK do you think closing down an illegal pirate radio station makes Israel undemocratic?

Actually, I do (up to a point) in the same way as I do when somewhere in the UK does similar to "pirate stations"). Hardly democratic, stifling free speech.

Archived