Israel shuts liberal radio station in attempt to silence criticism of right

Actually, I do (up to a point) in the same way as I do when somewhere in the UK does similar to "pirate stations"). Hardly democratic, stifling free speech.

So you don’t think a democratically elected government should make rules and enforce them because it undemocratic. :huh:

So you're saying that the government owns air?

How can they own the air but they can control what goes into it. I’m sure people would be complaining to the government if illegal transmissions were interfering with their TV or Radio or if some out of control business was polluting the air they breathe.

They are elected by the people to act on peoples behalf, and if the people don’t like what they do they can vote for a different government next time.

Is this what a democracy does ? - closes radio stations because it's views might not be in favour with the regime ?

Sounds more like what a dictatorship would do.

Shameful on Israel's part.

----------

Critics say action against broadcaster is a politically motivated attack on democracy

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israel-shuts-liberal-radio-station-in-attempt-to-silence-criticism-of-right-6265422.html

Or you could do what the west does and bomb radio stations that dont meet the criteria and if that doesnt work give them their own channel with 'rules'.......

Al jazeera

So you're saying that the government owns air?
In pretty much every country, the Gvt/Crown/Republic/etc. owns the airwaves (spectrum frequencies - and the Gvt/Crown/Republic/etc. therefore licenses/polices their use, etc.)

That's why the likes of Vodafone, Three etc. have to bid for Gvt licenses for certain spectra (GPRS, 3G, 4G etc.) in the UK, France, the US, etc. Pretty much everywhere.

Same principle applies with AM, FM, etc. ;)

After that, if an operator within the jurisdiction is using the airwaves without a license, then it's more than likely illegal ('pirate') and relevant sanctions can be applied ('shut down'). Of course, there is not much a Gvt can do if the broadcast is made from a neighbouring jurisdiction.

Nothing "democratic" or "undemocratic" about it, it's very much SOP.

Besides, and again, in pretty much every country, the Gvt/Crown/Republic/etc. owns (and polices) a goodly volume of the 'air'(-space) within and demarcated by the country's borders, up to a certain height. Irrelevant to radio, though.

:hihi:

Its not about the air is it? its more about location of the pirate station and where its being listened to.

Radio Caroline was in international waters, yet the UK govt. shut it down. Seems like it's nothing to do with the location, more like controlling what the masses can hear/see.

In pretty much every country, the Gvt/Crown/Republic/etc. owns the airwaves (spectrum frequencies - and the Gvt/Crown/Republic/etc. therefore licenses/polices their use, etc.)

I know what govts. would like people to believe, doesn't make it true though. I mean, who owned the "airwaves" before TV & radio was invented?

Archived