Israel shuts liberal radio station in attempt to silence criticism of right

I mean, who owned the "airwaves" before TV & radio was invented?
Before radio was invented, there weren't any. You need to broadcast something first.

TV is an evolution of radio, the same as mobile telephony, etc. Call it 'broadcast technology'.

I know what govts. would like people to believe, doesn't make it true though.
Tell that to mobile phone operators.

Don't know about you, but businesses rarely pay billions for a license under something 'unreal' or 'untrue' :hihi:

I could refer you to the relevant Statutes, Acts and the like which codify all those airwave/spectrum owning affairs, but manifestly I'd likely be wasting my time. Keep to the tinfoil hat stuff, 'tis no skin off my nose :)

Radio Caroline was in international waters, yet the UK govt. shut it down
Can I suggest some further reading?

Save as to jamming for some time by the British Gvt (only thing the Gvt could do, due to international waters location), and a one-time "raid" jointly by the British and Dutch Gvts (which still didn't put it out of action), nothing on there says that the British Gvt successfully shut it down.

Before radio was invented, there weren't any. You need to broadcast something first.

Radio signals have been hitting the earth since the beginning of time, so there were (and still are) may types of radio waves bouncing all around the planet.

I'd likely be wasting my time. Keep to the tinfoil hat stuff, 'tis no skin off my nose :)

Actually, I understand the legislation. But it still doesn't mean anyone actually owns the radio waves (or the collection of gases that they traverse).

Actually, I understand the legislation.
Interesting.

Would you therefore concede that this reply of yours

So you don’t think a democratically elected government should make rules and enforce them because it undemocratic.
So you're saying that the government owns air?
is, quite misleadingly, a non-point? :twisted:

After all, Israel, for all its faults and/or qualities, is a democratically elected government able to make rules about the use of radio spectra within its jurisdiction (same as any other Gvt and even, from the Radio Caroline anecdote above, one as representative of tolerance and democracy as the Netherlands).

Would you therefore concede that this reply of yours

is, quite misleadingly, a non-point?

Not really.

People (govt.) don't own anything, in fact no one can own anything. We may keep things whilst we are alive, but own them? I don't believe so.

Is this what a democracy does ? - closes radio stations because it's views might not be in favour with the regime ?

Sounds more like what a dictatorship would do.

Shameful on Israel's part.

----------

Critics say action against broadcaster is a politically motivated attack on democracy

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/israel-shuts-liberal-radio-station-in-attempt-to-silence-criticism-of-right-6265422.html

Whatever happened to Radio Caroline, Radio London & Radio Scarborough?

sccsux, it's your prerogative to, by way of opinion, deliberately ignore standard (and, indeed, expected) laws, decrees and rules of a country, or several indeed.

Whether by personal conviction or for the sake of an argument, doesn't matter.

You'll understand, however, that, with your opinion being so opposed to principles of law accepted by most and applying to all, it makes your opinion essentially irrelevant to the topic of this thread.

Archived