More upmarket joint

Babooshka

Does anyone know of any bars or clubs that are slightly more upmarket than the average Sheffield venue, and that would suit a small group of 30 and 40 somethings ie - no 'tangoed' women in 10 inch heels, and the possibility of finishing the evening with ear drums in tact. Not been out much for a long, LONG time.

No clubs, as they seem to be aimed at the younger market, but you could go to nonnas (once saw a woman with a tattoo getting kicked out?) where you'd get orange, but you will also get a older crowd just there for a drink, not a scrap... Most bars seem to be either eccy rd or leopold sq - again, plenty of orange but a older crowd, although mostly chain bars and restaurants in the sq...

I might have said Trippet's previously and it's new incarnation of "Dada" might fit the bill if you can make it past the awful decor.

I went in on saturday, and it's not what it was... I liked the shabbyness of trippets and the wines and the mad people it used to attract at the weekends - It's all real ale and photos of Human League now though!

Yep Menzels is still pretty good, has been really busy the last few times i've been but some people like that.

Wig and Pen on Campo lane?

Delaneys next to waitrose (although if they have a band on it can be loud, check listings maybe)

WARNING - Menzels is NOT GOOD at all.

It's nowhere near being even "pretty good".

It used to be good, when old Michael Menzel had it - and he had those beautiful pastel murals on the walls inside and sold really top quality wines - and even the quaffing stuff was excellent. It used to attract a very upmarket crowd and was a place to be seen for Sheffield's elite.

I went in a few weeks ago with my other half and boy were we disappointed. It was shabby and run down inside - the choice of drinks was poor (compared to what it used to be) but the thing that spoiled it most of all was the clientele.

Full of riff-raff - Sheffield Chavs. And you had to fight your way through plumes of cigarette smoke to get in as all these dossers are fagging it outside at the door.

If you never went to Menzels before then it's probably no better or worse than a load of other places in Sheff. But if you lament the loss of another upmarket establishment then don't go - it'll upset you.

I honestly can't think of a nice upmarket kind of club place. I think the Bar & Grill in Leopold Square is reasonable and seems to attract a decent clientele - but it's not really a club. However, there's a nice bar area and they do great cocktails and nice food. Other than that... in town? :huh: I'm struggling.

I'd head out into Derbyshire and go a bit more upmarket or rustic. Or if you want that big city vibe, with great atmosphere, trendy bar, pretty people, try "Tiger Tiger" in Manchester.

Archived