Using your lights from new asda

i live near the new asda on the parson cross and go there quite often for bits, and the amount of cars i see that come out of there at evening times without there lights lit is unbelievable, i feel there should be a sign underneather the "Thanks for shopping at asda sign" saying make sure your lights are on, as there was a bad accident near there the other night, could this be a factor?

It happens a lot more these days. I reckon that although it's inexcusable and due to driver carelessness, a contributing factor is that car dashboards didn't used to be lit up unless the side/headlights were on. In most cars now, the dash is lit all the time.

I've no idea why manufacturers decided that was a good idea. To my mind, if it's dark enough that the dials need to be illuminated for you to see them, it's dark enough for the driver to turn their lights on.

Equally puzzling is why cars bound for i.e. Norway, Sweden are equipped with daylight bulbs that illuminate with the ignition yet not for our own market.

Daytime running lights will be a feature on all new cars within the EU by 2014.

Prior to that, can we have intelligent use of lights, please?

Or is that too much to ask?

For instance, if you want to be seen in murky conditions, look around you and see how invisible other cars are with no lights or with merely sidelights on. Then turn your switch to dipped headlights.

Oh, and when you've come off the hills into Sheffield with your fog lights on, when you are in traffic, however foggy it is, ask yourself whether the person ahead or behind can see you with ordinary lights on. Turn the high-intensity bulbs off, please, just as you would turn your full beam down - their aura hides more than they reveal.

Equally puzzling is why cars bound for i.e. Norway, Sweden are equipped with daylight bulbs that illuminate with the ignition yet not for our own market.
Because it's unnecessary, as unnecessary as fog lights when there's no fog and full headlights on in the middle of the day..

Drivers should not have to be told to use their lights, if they cause a crash by not using them then they should be held responsable. It wont be just that Asda so do you suggest having signs at every supermarket or car park?

I'm convinced some of them think they'll get a leccy bill if they switch them on! :o

Is driving without lights cool these days? It does seem to be a growing trend, and being an oldie I may not know about it. :confused:

I think that part of the fault specifically with this Asda car park lies with Asda themselves because the car park is so brightly lit at night that cars don't need lights when they're in the car park.

In a car park which was less brightly lit it would be more natural and obvious for people to turn their lights on as they got into the car and turned on the ignition.

I think that part of the fault specifically with this Asda car park lies with Asda themselves because the car park is so brightly lit at night that cars don't need lights when they're in the car park.

In a car park which was less brightly lit it would be more natural and obvious for people to turn their lights on as they got into the car and turned on the ignition.

Nope, the fault lies fairly and squarely on the drivers shoulders. They are responsible for the actions they take when driving their car....not Asda.

As an aside, I was amazed at how many vehicles were travelling in the outside lane on the A1M last Sunday. Conditions were very foggy, road wet, and still cars travelling with no lights or just side lights in excess of 70/80 mph. You'd think that after seeing the carnage on the M5 at Taunton the other week they'd be a tad more responsible.

It seems quite evident that there are some motorists that couldn't give a toss who they kill.

Archived