Using your lights from new asda

get yourself a car like mine as it turns the lights on as soon as it starts to go dark, ive never turned the lights on once in 3 years, come to think of it it turns the wipers on aswell if it rains

Mine does the same, I wont buy another car without them. Although it was wierd when I had a rental which didn't have them on one time.

I think that part of the fault specifically with this Asda car park lies with Asda themselves because the car park is so brightly lit at night that cars don't need lights when they're in the car park.

Maybe they don't need their car lights to see to drive, but the dashboard still won't be illuminated, which just reinforces the fact that people don't bother looking at their speedos any more.

I've often wondered who these people are that can't see cars under street lights - if you have decent eyesight the lights on the car are superfluous, at least in some areas of sheffield.

In fact IIRC the rules are that you use sidelights at night, you DO NOT need headlights when under street lighting.

The Highway Code

Lighting requirements (113-116)

You MUST

ensure all sidelights and rear registration plate lights are lit between sunset and sunrise

use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting. These roads are generally restricted to a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) unless otherwise specified

use headlights when visibility is seriously reduced (see Rule 226)

Night (the hours of darkness) is defined as the period between half an hour after sunset and half an hour before sunrise).

Driving in adverse weather conditions (226-237)

You MUST NOT

use any lights in a way which would dazzle or cause discomfort to other road users, including pedestrians, cyclists and horse riders

use front or rear fog lights unless visibility is seriously reduced. You MUST switch them off when visibility improves to avoid dazzling other road users (see Rule 226)

In stationary queues of traffic, drivers should apply the parking brake and, once the following traffic has stopped, take their foot off the footbrake to deactivate the vehicle brake lights. This will minimise glare to road users behind until the traffic moves again.

[Law RVLR reg 27]

Driving in adverse weather conditions (226-237)

You should also

use dipped headlights, or dim-dip if fitted, at night in built-up areas and in dull daytime weather, to ensure that you can be seen

keep your headlights dipped when overtaking until you are level with the other vehicle and then change to main beam if necessary, unless this would dazzle oncoming road users

slow down, and if necessary stop, if you are dazzled by oncoming headlights

Archived