Too Lazy To Push

I personally wouldn't choose to have a c section. I had a natural birth and was up and out of bed, walking around within a hour, went home the next day and got on with things as normal from then. I know women who have had to have c section's and the recovery time is much longer.

I'm impressed

What did you do for a job?

Precision grinder?

:hihi:

its easy to gloat about these things when all around you are panicking - false alarm - sent home - panicking - rushing - pushing - sent home again etc etc..

Not to mention there is no stretching of 'bits' - for that reason too, formula ftw!

So i'll try not to gloat.

I think they should only be allowed if there is a medical need. They are expensive, have a much longer recovery time and will tie up operating theatres and staff. What happens when a woman comes in needing an emergency CS and all the theatres are full of women who are too posh to push?

Er, if people with severe ongoing problems with limbs they want amputated aren't allowed to have surgery until the NHS say they've reached the last resort, why should a C section be a choice?

Fine, if it's necessary, but we can't get any other type of surgery just because we feel like it

For thousands of years, women had to endure childbirth with no pain relief

For thousands of years women regularly died in childbirth (and still do in countries without proper medical support). I have no strong feelings one way or the other but natural childbirth is by no means risk-free.

I don't know if 'too lazy to push' is a fair assesment. It's natural to be apprehensive about the unknown. It also doesn't help hearing 'horror stories' of other women's births that went awry. I never did that to other pregnant women!

Natural childbirth classes help prepare you, but each woman's situation is different and each birth is different. I had easy pregnancies with no complications, but long, miserable labors. One 14 hours and the other 17 1/2 hours. Would anyone want to do anything that feels good for that long, let alone something that hurts?! A friend of mine had such short labors she almost gave birth to both her daughters in the car! It used to be the rule was once a c-section always a c-section, but no more. As for 'stretching' of bits? Pssst. Everything stretches back. Truly. Do your exercises, girls! That part of your body is meant for a baby to pass through it.

After the births of my children, I felt like the Grinch at the end of the cartoon. "His heart grew three sizes that day, and the Grinch found the strength of *ten* Grinches, plus two!" :)

I think they should only be allowed if there is a medical need. They are expensive, have a much longer recovery time and will tie up operating theatres and staff. What happens when a woman comes in needing an emergency CS and all the theatres are full of women who are too posh to push?

Yes, that is another concern, given that around 25% of women give birth by caesarean in the UK, mostly because of an emergency, although I am not sure of the exact percentage.

It is believed (or hoped perhaps) that once women have had the risks of surgery explained to them, then the rate of caesarean births will fall. I am not convinced to be honest. I can't really understand why a healthy woman with no history of problematic childbirth would opt for an operation that has such a long recovery time and restricts what you can do afterwards in a way that vaginal childbirth (without complications) doesn't, ie no driving, carrying or lifting the baby for 6 weeks as well as having a far higher risk of post-birth infections and complications.

For thousands of years women regularly died in childbirth (and still do in countries without proper medical support). I have no strong feelings one way or the other but natural childbirth is by no means risk-free.

I never said it was, I said that now there is pain relief and intervention available, implicit in that was that it is far safer than before and the pain can be reduced if the mother wants/needs it. C-sections on demand or becoming routine is not the answer. It also leads to a deskilled midwifery pool.

Archived