Goodbye To The Windsor Pub

figsmum

So sorry to hear the demise of the Windsor, my Mum had her wedding reception in the upstairs room. It was my grand parents local, many happy hours spent drinking orange crush and eating 'Nibbits' while sat on the wall out side. Going to the off sales and ringing the bell then bending down so as not to be seen, this was really daring in the early 50s, if we got caught a good clout round the ear was given! Good old days.

It was like a community centre for the top Wybourn,had brilliant football teams, my uncle donated a trophy donkeys years ago for the best player of the year,the Bud Thorpe trophy,

Suppose it disappeared years ago.

It was always a thriving centre for the legion(British Legion)and everyone knew everyone elses business and would always come forrard if owt was amiss.

A crying shame it's going,it's got a million memories locked inside those walls.

Only been going in the Windsor for about the last 25 years, so I've no memories of it before that but in that time I've built up a great many of them.

Its sad to see the place go under but it's been on the cards for a few years now. At one time if you were'nt in the concert room for 7.30 on a Sunday night you had no chance of a seat. But times change and now there is only a handful of customers left.

It's had a bad reputation but I've always found the people who use it to be the salt of the earth.

Its going to be a big loss.

Any of you old timers remember ken Bell., that worked there when the whites had it, in the 60s also Brenda,she had black hair .I remember going to the of licence for some sweets, and my dad would pay for them at the end of the week.It will be a sad day when the windsor goes., Just glad my dad is not here now to see it.

Archived