Charities being cheeky

The missus pays £30 a month to a charity (action aid) sponsors an african kid

we dont get that much money, im on almost minimum wage, she does bits here and there

anyway the cheeky gets phoned up today hasseling her to pay more :o

they said its not just for the sponsored child in africa, its for other stuff they do

a good 5-8 minutes she was on the phone, telling them if she could afford it she would, and when she can she gives to charities NOT JUST THEM.

i told her shouldve just told em to **** off, she said no cos thats just rude, is it just me or is it also rude a charity phoning up and pestering people who pay a reasonable amount to pay more?

its not like popping a £1 in a tin, its £30 a MONTH

Mrs Draggle's had this a couple of times (might have been Friends of the Earth)

You give the best you can and they ring up asking for more (and don't easily take no for an answer) - outrageous IMO :mad:

A nephew of mine got collared by someone in the street once and agreed to donate £8 per month by direct debit. After 18 months or so, one day he was checking his bank statement, and didn't immediately recognise a £15 debit. He rang the bank to check what it was for and it turned out to be the charity he was donating to (can't remember which one). Anyway, when he phoned the charity they told him they 'automatically upgrade' the donation after 12 months!!!.....He was seething!!!, so he cancelled the direct debit. What a damn cheek to take the money without even asking!!!

... Anyway, when he phoned the charity they told him they 'automatically upgrade' the donation after 12 months!!!.....He was seething!!!, so he cancelled the direct debit. What a damn cheek to take the money without even asking!!!

That's got to be a fraudulent offence, surely?

That's got to be a fraudulent offence, surely?

Well, I would have thought so. But maybe there was 'something' in the fine print that allowed them to do it, I don't know. My nephew certainly wasn't 'aware' of it!!

It's no different I suppose from paying your leccy or gas bills or phone by Direct Debit. Basically they can take whatever they wish. A couple of times I've had to ring my mobile phone provider and say...hey, why is my bill 'X' this month, and find they've screwed up in some way. So unless you keep an eye on things, it's very easy for someone signed up to a DD not to notice.

I used to talk to chuggers, it was the only way I could get attractive young women to talk to me, but now I don't break stride, and give a loudish, but firm " sorry no thanks" and keep walking, if they try and block my way ( which don't do with me but it appears to be a popular tactic on other people) they gently moved. Worksop used to be awful because they almost outnumber the shoppers. If they were selling double glazing or something and using the same tactics they'd be hammered for it.

I'll give to who I like how I like the amount I like when I like.

Archived