Nice restaurant to take a girl to in Sheffield, any ideas?

guyhoneymoon

San Lorenzo closed down many years ago now... There is a restaurant in the same building now though - Otto's, it's Moroccan... There is also a cheap Italian that I have always found pleasant, and used to go to on dates myself back in my post student days, and it's called La Terazza or somesuch, and it's also on Sharrow Vale Rd...

Yes Ottos not San Lorenzo! run of course by Mr Otto, who also owns the Mediterranean, and La Terazza. I remember when it was Le Bistro who's owner had that red and white 2CV.

Can recommend Moran's by Dore and Totley station, out of town but easy to get to by train and because it's not in the middle of West street it adds to the ambience imho. They do a 3 course set for 20 quid and the food is rather tasty.

a bit of an old crowd though, it's like a senior citizens centre.

The bar and grill in Leopoldo square ona Sunday is about £15 each for a main and reasonable deals on courses there on up (it's a special offer thing for Sundays)

Atmosphere is lovely me an my OH like to go once uns while for some couples time. Rarely get kids but they are welcome and the staff couldn't be friendlier or more helpfull. Food is Devine and they are really good on the rare chance you have a problem with your order

(only problem we ever had have is that they mixed up how well done we wanted our meat once with the table behind who order same dish with slightly better done meat, easy mistake to make easy to rectify also and they discounted the bill just a lil for the inconvenience which was a nice surprise)

I had a nightmare experience there the one and only time I ever went - they couldnt get the order right at all, and most of the small group I was in didn't atually get anything in two hours of waiting! It was a afternoon and very quiet, and they didnt give a stuff! Complained three times, and still nothing rectified - I was one of the (at the time I thought fortunate, but turned out to be unfortunate) ones to get something - it tasted ok, but made me quite ill... It was absolutely awful and I'd never risk it again...

a bit of an old crowd though, it's like a senior citizens centre.

Agree Bulgarian.

I've been twice and both times I enjoyed the food but didn't really enjoy the atmosphere at Moran's.

I think the lighting has a lot to do with it. It's very bright and stark, like, as you say, some kind of senior citizens centre. And it's just not that nicely done out inside. Feels very basic - which is not what I want if I'm paying a good price for a night out.

The food was good - very simple though I'd say. Nothing wrong with that, but Isort of start thinking, well... I could cook this myself at home so why am I paying to go out for it? And why do I want to sit in such a bright, bare kind of place to dine, when I could go somewhere else with soft lighting, warmth, colour, intimate atmosphere?

That's why I haven't been back. Nowt wrong with the food - but the whole experience is far to plain and simple for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived