Why is it a abnormal blood test

Hi iv not been feeling too well bad pains in joints & gaining weight fast been to doctors & told abnormal cortisol levels so had to go back for a repeat blood test anyone tell me what this means ???

A cortisol test is done to find problems of the pituitary gland or adrenal glands, such as making too much or too little hormones.

Agent Orange got it in one. They are checking to see what the levels of cortisol are in your blood. If they are persistently raised it suggests that you are producing too much of it. It is produced in the adrenal glands but a blockage in the pituitary gland may raise levels.

Over production of cortisol may indicate some kind of blockage or tumor in the glands. Don't be alarmed, this doesn't mean cancer. It could be something very benign and easily treatable.

Unchecked it can lead to a condition called "Cushings syndrome" which is what I suspect, they suspect, you might have. They are trying to eliminate this possibility first I'd imagine. Try looking up "Cushings syndrome" on the net for more info. (but remember, it's not certain that's what you've got).

Good luck.

You didnt say initially, if the blood test indicated too much or not enough cortisol. You can produce too much cortisol when stressed..so that could be why the result was abnormal. It doesnt mean it is abnormal...If you under alot of stress..discuss this with your gp , it can be sorted out .

If it was addisons disease, you wouldnt be producing enough cortisol . Addisons disease is treatable with daily medication.It means that your adrenal glands arent producing enough if any..We need adrenaline for our body's fight or flight when in danger or stressed etc. so it is important to be aware and others to be aware if you do get diagnosed with this.. Just wait for the results of further tests, you might even be ok....so try not to worry.

Archived