Could prisoner work plans take jobs from unemployed?

Could prisoner work plans take jobs from unemployed?

Prisons are trying to cut reoffending by taking jobs away from society and giving them to prisoners, the prisoners will be trained and hopefully offered a job and house when they leave.

I do think this will cut reoffending but in doing so could cause more people to offend just to access the free training, job opportunities and housing they are offered when they leave.

So if I haven’t got a job or a house I should commit crime because I won’t be punished I will be given free training a job and a house.

It'll take work from legitimate businesses that pay proper wages. How can any business compete with £20 a week wages?

People who have never committed a crime in their life will be losing their jobs because of this. Nobody can compete with slave labour.

It was on the news and some small business owner did express those concerns, from what I have read the companies pay a full wage but the prisoner only gets a very small part of it and the rest goes to victim support and the prison. I think that is fare but prisoners should only be doing work that can’t be filed by the unemployed. Maybe it would have been a good idea 10 years ago when we needed mass immigration to fill vacancies but not now there are very few jobs available.

It was on the news and some small business owner did express those concerns, from what I have read the companies pay a full wage but the prisoner only gets a very small part of it and the rest goes to victim support and the prison. I think that is fare but prisoners should only be doing work that can’t be filed by the unemployed. Maybe it would have been a good idea 10 years ago when we needed mass immigration to fill vacancies but not now there are very few jobs available.

It was just on breakfast news, they spoke to the prisoners, one of them said they get £20 per week. I don't know where the rest of the money goes, but I'd be shocked to hear that a victim saw a penny of it.

They were doing 'online marketing' - making £40m a year, just from one prison in South Yorkshire, they're in direct competition with me & other legitimate businesses.

The article contains this phrase: '90% of the work in the prison would be done abroad if it were not for HMP Altcourse.'

97.3% of all stats are made up on the spot.

If that is the case, then it isn't going to affect many UK workers anyway. I'd much rather see prisoners employed than not.

You know it's not the case & even if it is, it doesn't make a bit of difference. It's still taking work away from legitimate companies paying fair wages, even if some of them are 'foreign'.

What if other countries started doing the same, then we'd be competing with foreign slaves too.

I'd much rather see people that aren't in prison get jobs first.

The article contains this phrase: '90% of the work in the prison would be done abroad if it were not for HMP Altcourse.'

If that is the case, then it isn't going to affect many UK workers anyway. I'd much rather see prisoners employed than not.

I agree but if it can be done in a UK prison it can be done in the UK by the unemployed. If I was unemployed I would be a little resentful that criminals are given jobs that I would like to do.

I agree but if it can be done in a UK prison it can be done in the UK by the unemployed. If I was unemployed I would be a little resentful that criminals are given jobs that I would like to do.

It would be fantastic if more manufacturing work was available in the UK! However, because the unemployed would be paid minimum wage at the very least, companies would just send the work abroad.

If the prisons can compete with foreign manufacturing costs, at least some money would go to their upkeep. That would take some of the burden off UK taxpayers, wouldn't it?

It would be fantastic if more manufacturing work was available in the UK! However, because the unemployed would be paid minimum wage at the very least, companies would just send the work abroad.

If the prisons can compete with foreign manufacturing costs, at least some money would go to their upkeep. That would take some of the burden off UK taxpayers, wouldn't it?

Until other countries get the same idea & it becomes a competition to see how many people can be locked up & how little they can be paid.

If these jobs weren't done by slave labour, they'd be done by people paid a fair market rate for their work.

Archived