Could prisoner work plans take jobs from unemployed?

Is working in prison compulsory?

I always thought it was voluntary otherwise wouldn't it be classed as forced labour and against the HRA.

According to a recent Radio 4 documentory, there is far too little work available and the vast majority of prisoners are locked up all day.

Most prisons are understaffed and cannot afford to supervise prisoners doing actual work anyway.

the unemployed do not have jobs, therfore they cannot have jobs taken from them.

Good point, but I'm sure you know what the person that wrote that is talking about fortunately I just copied and pasted, so it’s not me that’s stupid.:D

Who's going to be employing these people? I wouldn't employ an ex con if I had a business. Wouldn't trust them.

Some are already employed doing call centre work, I wonder how long the public would use the service if they now they could be talking to a rapist, child molester or murderer. Maybe that why call centres are using them, after all they don’t actually want anyone to call them.

Is working in prison compulsory?

I always thought it was voluntary otherwise wouldn't it be classed as forced labour and against the HRA.

Sentenced prisoners are required to work, refusal leads to diciplinary action.

Who's going to be employing these people? I wouldn't employ an ex con if I had a business. Wouldn't trust them.

You have just stated the reason why most ex offenders re offend, it's because of people who hold views like this that even when someone who has commited a crime want's to go straight there are people with veiws like yourself that won't employ them.

You have just stated the reason why most ex offenders re offend, it's because of people who hold views like this that even when someone who has commited a crime want's to go straight there are people with veiws like yourself that won't employ them.

Difficult though isn't it..with so many honest people around why would you risk a known criminal..? Genuine question..

They are housed and fed quite well, which should be encouraging many of the unemployed to steal food.

I would tend to agree that if one as nothing to lose, no job, no house and no family then one may as well be a thief, because it would be win win with our currant system.

I would tend to agree that if one as nothing to lose, no job, no house and no family then one may as well be a thief, because it would be win win with our currant system.

What about when they come out and try and get a job, with all the holier than thou people not willing to give ex criminals a chance it would not really be a win win situation would it?

You yourself are moaning about convicts working in prison on this thread and then you agree with a poster about it being a good idea in this climate to get locked up.

Archived