Could prisoner work plans take jobs from unemployed?

Difficult though isn't it..with so many honest people around why would you risk a known criminal..? Genuine question..

When a criminal is given a chance of a job they work hard to stay employed and know they will be getting watched.

the unemployed do not have jobs, therfore they cannot have jobs taken from them.

Exactly

What type of jobs are under threat?

teaching

driving

nursing

home care

solicitor

Most jobs are personal services,and unsuitable for prison use.Would you release the prisoner or bring the client to gaol to manicure hands,cut hair,drill teeth etc?

Ironically the same people who oppose this scheme favour flexible working,oppose union activity,and other anti-workers sentiments.Its like a pecking order.If we can have a dig at prisoners then we will support the wokers,otherwise stuff 'em.

What about when they come out and try and get a job, with all the holier than thou people not willing to give ex criminals a chance it would not really be a win win situation would it?

You yourself are moaning about convicts working in prison on this thread and then you agree with a poster about it being a good idea in this climate to get locked up.

I’m not moaning about prisoners working, I’m discussing whether it is a good idea for them to do jobs that the unemployed could and should be doing.

It is a win win because they can just commit more crime and get free food and accommodation as well as a job.

Who's going to be employing these people? I wouldn't employ an ex con if I had a business. Wouldn't trust them.

Not all prisoners have commited crimes involving property-some are exceptionally trustworthy but may have failings elsewhere like a short temper or dangerous driving.What about a person who is imprisoned for an act of protest such as not paying the council tax?You seem to treat them the same rather than discriminating between them.

Just a thought (and it may be a bad one) What if the prisoners were given the jobs that British workers won't do (y'know the ones, the ones that it is oft said that are being done by our valuable immigrants). We'd keep the money in this country instead if it being sent to Eastern Europe, Immigration would be down enabling the health service to achieve targets, social services could recover and public spending would decrease in a trice. Seems to me a win-win situation.:hihi:
Sensible answer at last.

Not all prisoners have commited crimes involving property-some are exceptionally trustworthy but may have failings elsewhere like a short temper or dangerous driving.What about a person who is imprisoned for an act of protest such as not paying the council tax?You seem to treat them the same rather than discriminating between them.

Agree, I'd empoly an ex jailed council tax protester but I would never employ someone who'd been jailed for illegal drug use/supplying.

I’m not moaning about prisoners working, I’m discussing whether it is a good idea for them to do jobs that the unemployed could and should be doing.

It is a win win because they can just commit more crime and get free food and accommodation as well as a job.

You should be pointing out about all the UK call centre jobs that have already been shipped out of the country.

What about when they come out and try and get a job, with all the holier than thou people not willing to give ex criminals a chance it would not really be a win win situation would it?

I do think that a lot depends on the type of crime that the ex con commited.

You have just stated the reason why most ex offenders re offend, it's because of people who hold views like this that even when someone who has commited a crime want's to go straight there are people with veiws like yourself that won't employ them.

people have a right within certain limits to employ who they choose, I certainly would not employ a released pedophile in a toddlers nursery.

Archived