Could prisoner work plans take jobs from unemployed?

I've not really payed too much attention to who likes what on here, just miffed about this issue. I would be even more miffed if I was looking for work and I knew that not only did I have to compete with 10s if not 100s of people for the same job, but that some crim could be given preference over the lot of us. Talk about rewarding people for bad behaviour. Tut
You should see them when the topic is imported cheap labour, it's all your fault for expecting a living wage.

It'll take work from legitimate businesses that pay proper wages. How can any business compete with £20 a week wages?

People who have never committed a crime in their life will be losing their jobs because of this. Nobody can compete with slave labour.

It's a pity more of you aren't more vocal about Indian call centres and assett strippng followed by moving production abroad, both of which have lost more British jobs the prisoners working will ever do.

It's a pity more of you aren't more vocal about Indian call centres and assett strippng followed by moving production abroad, both of which have lost more British jobs the prisoners working will ever do.

I have nothing against free trade.

Have you ever thought that British people might be paid by foreigners too? Ever thought that might be more people than 'lose' their amazing jobs to Indian call centres?

I do most of my work for Americans.

If we started restricting trade with other countries, then other countries would do the same back to us. I'd lose my job, so would lots of other people. It wouldn't just be minimum wages jobs either.

Look at how well being isolationist works for North Korea.

Prison should mean work to pay for theirs and the prisons upkeep or are you happy to pay taxes to keep prisoners on their backsides? Just remember on their backsides you're subsidising them.

I'm happy for them to work in the kitchens, be growing veg out on the prison farm or whatever. I don't care.

It's when they're supplying goods & services to people & companies outside the prison system that it bothers me, because then they're competing with businesses that have to pay their staff. They're competing for jobs with the unemployed & they have an unfair advantage of extremely low wages with free bed & board. When they're doing that I'm being forced to subsidise my competitors.

I've not really payed too much attention to who likes what on here, just miffed about this issue. I would be even more miffed if I was looking for work and I knew that not only did I have to compete with 10s if not 100s of people for the same job, but that some crim could be given preference over the lot of us. Talk about rewarding people for bad behaviour. Tut

My Bold=

With an attitude like that no wonder loads end up finding it hard to get a job and then it's a life of on the dole or carry on with crime.

My Bold=

With an attitude like that no wonder loads end up finding it hard to get a job and then it's a life of on the dole or carry on with crime.

Someone’s always going to be without a job and ending up committing crime because there aren’t enough jobs, so it might as well be the same group of people that have already made the choice to ruin their lives. Why give a criminal a job and deprive a school leaver of that job, if it the lack of a job that turns people to crime all that will happen is the school leaver will become a criminal?

My Bold=

That's a pitiful statement. There's lots of people out there who are desperately seeking work and somehow manage not to turn to crime to get by. How do they do it? Oh yes, that's right, they're decent human beings who know right from wrong. These people deserve the jobs.

Like I said, you reap what you sow. Everyone has a choice - You chose to commit crime, then don't be suprised or feel hard done too when no one will employ you.

Could prisoner work plans take jobs from unemployed?

You can't take jobs from the unemployed because they don't have jobs .... That's why the are unemployed, see?

Someone already pointed out that little discrepancy earlier. Think they meant to ask:

Is it right that criminals should be given jobs which crime free, worthy jobseekers could have instead?

Archived