Do we need change?

Should we reform our system of government?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should we reform our system of government?

• No. Everything is fine and dandy.
    • We just need a General Election ASAP
    • We need electoral reform, but not AV.
    • There needs to be a fundamental change to the parliamentary system.

With all the protests going on these days, and a big strike coming soon, a lot of people are saying that "the system" is fundamentally broken.

Our electoral system in particular comes in for a lot of criticism: it is seen as undemocratic, and fundamentally flawed by the rule of the two party system.

As always though, it is hard to know if the "lots" who are shouting about it are representative. Are they vastly outnumbered by the quietly content?

I suspect the 'quietly content' among us, are not actually quietly content, but have to go to work to earn a crust. We don't have time to camp out in churches etc.

As for the 'big strike'. it's one day for crying out loud! It won't make one iota of difference. Then there's David (I've got more money than the average Joe Soap) Cameron saying take your kids to work with you on that day.!!!..What a plonker!....I despair at some of the things that pass through there politicians minds

With all the protests going on these days, and a big strike coming soon, a lot of people are saying that "the system" is fundamentally broken.

As always though, it is hard to know if the "lots" who are shouting about it are representative. Are they vastly outnumbered by the quietly content?

i think we will have more insight into this when this strike takes place.

We need to change/increase the minimum amount of union members votes needed in favour of strike action for the strike to be able to go ahead - one in four isn't good enough.

The politicians will never do this because they would have to follow exactly the same rule for elections, which would mean that it would be impossible to run an election due to voter apathy.

Absolutely. I've also heard from other UNISON members that they didn't even get any ballot papers.

It is not only Unison, Unite members also had trouble getting ballot papers. When we looked into this it seems that the ballot papers are not sent out by the unions but an external government? agency.

If the agency is poorly funded or in some way disorganised or unmotivated to get every single ballot paper out, then the mandate is never going to be substantial.

From what I hear, they only have to get a certain percentage out to make the ballot legal, and it seems that is all they are going to do.

It's really very pointless. If you launched the entire house of commons to the moon, another 600 odd, media trained career politicians will emerge instead doing the same sort if thing and trying to win favour from the same people. Av won't work, most people don't know and don't care as was illustrated by the vote on it earlier. If you are going to do anything, halve the numbers.

Given the appalling track record of the previous government they clearly shouldn't be let near government until a new generation have come through the ranks so given the choice of conservative majority government or lib dem/conservative coalition government I think we got the best result possible in the current situation. So yes, the system worked, this time.

Archived