Freddie mercury died 20 yrs today

I thought the singles were to drive sales of LPs;I found Queen so shallow and formulaic that I had no interest in discovering any other tracks such as Flush Jordan,White Tricycle and A day with the Aces.Good for the quasi heavy metal fans,lads in sixth-form and grown ups wanting a Xmas present,but never taken seriously by their fellow musicians who thought them ridiculous and derivative.

Derivative? Bloody hell, if you agree with that you're a harsher critic of musical originality than me. I listen to everything from jazz to grindcore and Queen are one of the last bands I would label derivative. Just my opinion obviously.

Their singles, like most other bands, are little more than radio friendly unit shifters, although I did like some of Queen's "smash hits", and they were a hell of a lot more creative than most of the swill that populates the charts.

In my opinion. ;)

Well as a second rate band they didnt fare to badly in fact the appearance at Band aid has been called the greatest 20 mins in rock history and many stars of the rock industry call it the best gig ever.Without doubt Freddie was the ultimate showman and as such the greatest frontman ever...Oh and he could sing

Well that list did not include Pete Townsend,Bob Dylan,Van Morrison and Neil Young all of whom think Queen were a marketing dream largely reliant on the use of videos to promote their songs.It was called the greatest 20 minutes because of the audience size and the occasion-some of the best performances were never recorded.How many non tribute bands cover Queen songs and reinterpret their music-none that I know of!

I thought the singles were to drive sales of LPs;I found Queen so shallow and formulaic that I had no interest in discovering any other tracks such as Flush Jordan,White Tricycle and A day with the Aces.Good for the quasi heavy metal fans,lads in sixth-form and grown ups wanting a Xmas present,but never taken seriously by their fellow musicians who thought them ridiculous and derivative.

As an aside, Led Zeppelin didn't release any singles. Their albums seemed to sell okay.

Archived