Toyota confirms 1,500 new jobs for Burnaston factory

A rare bit of good news for the economy:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/go/em/fr/-/news/uk-england-derbyshire-15870451

Be interesting to know whether this will be just an assembly line or whether the components will be made in the UK too.

Well, as long as it creates jobs, it doesn't matter what line of work it is (no pun intended) :)

True, I have resigned myself to accepting that large numbers of skilled, particularly manufacturing jobs will come from overseas (and the profits going there too). But it's also sad to say that for every Toyota or Nissan there a cadbury who will asset strip and ship abroad. Building cars is something we clearly do well for other countries companies - why was rover so awful.

I still think smaller firms can do it, but as far as big name firms are concerned - they ain't British.

Skilled, well paid jobs too. Good conditions as well from what I've heard (I bet staff turnover is barely double figures). More please !!

Yep, these are the type of jobs the Cons hate, having spent the latter part of the last century destroying our manufacturing base, on the altar of the service economy and financial services garbage. Shows how desperate they are!

Considering how you always blame "the government" for job losses, where is the reciprocal praise for this announcement?

I expect you were in a rush and didn't have time to type "thank you David Cameron and Nick Clegg". :P

How do Baaaaaaarnsley Bill, shame this week saw the first of the 1400 or so job losses at the Derby rail plant formerly BREL (British Rail Engineering Ltd), privatised by the Cons and gradually run down by several subsequent foreign owners.

Archived