Is SF turning into a political / religious propaganda tool?

Is SF turning into a propaganda tool?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Is SF turning into a propaganda tool?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if its not my favourite side
    • Whats propaganda mean?

I have actually changed my original stance on a few issues after having my views challenged on here. I've also learned a fair amount, not just from reading other people's posts but from doing my own research on certain topics.

I'm not saying it will never happen, a lot of posts at least make you/I think which is good but in general there's a tangible divide and yes if you are willing to listen and a lot do, then it's possible to learn and, like you say, a little research is always useful and educational.

I also think those threads are quite interesting. Far btter than wondering why the police helecoptor is over Ecclesfield.

However, I agree about ther insults thing. So many posters can't help themselves and resort to insults. :)

Is this sarcasm? I read a reply to one of your previous posts, and the person that you have just replied to was the person insulting you? :confused:

I posted a thread yesterday, it vanished in 2 minutes. It was just an article on Saudi Arabia believing Iran to be the biggest threat in the M.E, very inoffensive, no sarcastic remarks, just a quote from an article. I have already asked why it was removed. I know why it was removed, but cannot prove anything as i have no mod powers. A neutral mod could confirm it (if they would be so kind)

I think CXC3000 just reports threads he doesn't like to silence the opposition, and i believe someone with moderating powers does was he asks. It would explain why certain threads get closed, yet most of his remain.

That is easy enough to check - check his threads vs his oppositions threads.

He/she has views and is allowed to voice them. A lot of people agree with what he/she is saying.

I have never seen a post where he/she insults someone, which is quite respectful or can you send me a link where she has personally insulted a poster?

Threads do get removed for no 'apparent' reason at times and it is bewildering though the Pet section takes some beating.

Often if people read posting rules it would all become a lot clearer, sadly things end up being removed because of the attitude of the people posting on them...and for many no reason given would ever be good enough they just enjoy a grumble!

Often if people read posting rules it would all become a lot clearer, sadly things end up being removed because of the attitude of the people posting on them...and for many no reason given would ever be good enough they just enjoy a grumble!

Hello :D.......

May be a sticky at the top of each section would help remind members that the forum as rules, somewhere that for now I can't find.

I posted a thread yesterday, it vanished in 2 minutes. It was just an article on Saudi Arabia believing Iran to be the biggest threat in the M.E, very inoffensive, no sarcastic remarks, just a quote from an article. I have already asked why it was removed. I know why it was removed, but cannot prove anything as i have no mod powers. A neutral mod could confirm it (if they would be so kind)

I think CXC3000 just reports threads he doesn't like to silence the opposition, and i believe someone with moderating powers does was he asks. It would explain why certain threads get closed, yet most of his remain.

That is easy enough to check - check his threads vs his oppositions threads.

As this seems to be a general concern rather than being specific to Mr Dome I'll put this here rather than in a PM, so you can all see it.

Moderators are not allowed to discuss specific moderation issues in thread or via PM's, that's what the helpdesk is for, so asking a moderator to explain their decision in a forum will result in being directed to the helpdesk.

If you have a problem with the way the board is moderated or indeed believe certain moderators are biased, then you need to inform the admins via the helpdesk.

The moderators moderate the forum by responding to reports that you, the users, submit, if you don't report an issue with a post then there's a fair chance that nothing will be done about it.

Moderators are also users, so if a moderator happens to stumble across a problematic post while they have their user hat on then they may either report it for someone else or deal with it themselves, if they've contributed to the thread then they aren't allowed to deal with it themselves.

In order to avoid accusations of bias or unfairness we have an extra layer of moderation in the shape of the admins.

Now admins can also function as moderators but generally are too busy, and they are also users so the same rules apply as for moderators.

Amongst other things admins moderate the moderators, they can issue sanctions to individual moderators and can revue and reverse the moderators decisions.

However they only know to do this if you open a ticket at the helpdesk and tell them you have a problem with a moderator or their decision, if you can convince them of your case then they will act.

Complaining in a thread won't achieve anything, most of the time neither the admins or the moderators will even see the complaint.

Which is why we discourage discussion of moderation in threads, as when nothing comes of it you get frustrated and angry and the thread ends up being locked or deleted because the posts made after that happens render it unsavable, we'd have to remove so much of the thread it wouldn't make sense any more.

Having looked at your deleted thread, I know exactly why it was removed and as Sibon has already said if you read the rules you'd know as well, but if you want the thread reinstated then the Helpdesk is the place to ask and discuss the reasons for removal, though in this case I'd be surprised if it that happened.

That's how the system works with regard to moderation, if you are unhappy about this or have suggestions for how it can be improved then again the helpdesk is the place to go.

Now, please, this is an interesting discussion, lets not hijack it with accusations of moderator bias.

May be a sticky at the top of each section would help remind members that the forum as rules, somewhere that for now I can't find.
There is a link at the bottom of every page that says "Terms of Use & Rules" or the link at the left hand side of every page that says "Help & Contact us"

Why would people read a sticky note when they don't read these ?

So because you can’t comprehend the possibility that more than one person can have an opinion that differs from your opinions, all accounts that appose your views must be the same person.

The chances of me comprehending what goes on here aren't too bad since I've been here a while. Unlike yourself. Presumably. I and many others who use this place have a fair grasp of what goes on.

Archived