Is SF turning into a political / religious propaganda tool?

Is SF turning into a propaganda tool?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Is SF turning into a propaganda tool?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only if its not my favourite side
    • Whats propaganda mean?

I don't think the prescence of political or religous threads is a particular problem.

I would be nice if people could discuss what that particular thread is about though, as it is any thread about islamic extremism gets flooded with stuff about the EDL, any discussion about the far right gets flooded with stuff about islamic extremism, benefit cuts get flooded by stuff about tax avoidance etc etc. Gets a bit tedious after a while.

If i may say, the only issue i take with SF is the occasional deletion of threads by mods. It is clear to me that it is being done in cahoots with a certain poster who presses the report button to silence the opposition. I can think of several threads recently which didn't descend into a brawl, yet were removed, for example my thread just now on Saudi accusing Iran of being the biggest threat - why was it deleted if it wasn't deleted out of someones 'agenda'?

If i may say, the only issue i take with SF is the occasional deletion of threads by mods. It is clear to me that it is being done in cahoots with a certain poster who presses the report button to silence the opposition. I can think of several threads recently which didn't descend into a brawl, yet were removed, for example my thread just now on Saudi accusing Iran of being the biggest threat - why was it deleted if it wasn't deleted out of someones 'agenda'?

Mate, don't go there.. Else this thread will get locked/pulled and you'll be told to contact the Helpdesk.

you're slipping into dangerous territory here.

you don't want anyone to post political or religious threads (unless they wish others a happy birthday or help them with PC problems), and now you're onto anyone with right wing views (ie a vast section of society).

I agree. It could be construed as censorship of rightwing views and ideologies, which no matter how strongly I oppose, is wrong.

You might be new, but at least you've posted on a wide variety of topics.

Exactly. It's the "one trick ponies" that are the problem (and not only on SF, but on other forums too).

not very many in Sheffield Chat is there?

To be fair, I don't think you'll find many posts by me in "Sheffield Chat" either.;)

which was your aim I assume considering you know the forum rules and how to get a thread deleted.

I actually reported the troll thread.

See, i never knew that :D

Did you not? It's been standard policy for over 3 (probably more) years as far as I remember.

Assuming they don't have more than one account, I used to moderate a forum and admin allowed all moderators to have an account for discussion and one for moderating.

Which is probably the best course of action.

IF you don't like them, perhaps you should stop starting these sort of threads then.

Seventeen threads out of 491 that he has started? Yep, very hypocritical and obsessive.:rolleyes:

haha nice try, and 10 points for being an obsessive stalker

how many posts have i got? how many political threads / posts would the percentage be?

what about the myriad of posters that have say 5 posts and ALL posts are in the same type of threads or 5 threads started?

as i said above i post in all sorts of threads / sections

how old are some of those threads? it seems to me theres more and more threads on the same subjects appearing lately, and "users" appearing posting in em

the point is i believe theres people ACTIVELY using the forum as a platform, im not sure i do, yes im on one side but i dip in and out of them

for example how many political threads have i posted in today? two that got deleted..........which were purely to say the thread was of no importance

I see you're trying to wriggle out of it, but the fact is you complain of tiring of these threads, knowing full well you start them yourself too.

Re new users jumping into particular subjects, I think we're all aware we have a user or users who frequents the forum but keeps registering under a new username. Why they do it, I don't know, that's not for me to answer.

I don't think that their is much that puts me off politics more than some of the biggots on here. I read so much distorted truth presented as fact that it makes me cringe. I suspect that there are many posters on here who have to check which party the headline relates to before they can pass approval or not. When you arrive at that point you have probably lost the plot.

a vast section of society.

Hardly vast. Even the "moderate" right can't win an outright majority.

There are many long standing members who only post about pets and others who only post about football..

Which have their own sections to post in.

Archived